Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humble Pie

Humble Pie

I was always told that there were two kinds of shooters. . . . .those who have had an ND, and those who will have an ND!

I'd always pooh-poohed this assertion as I consider myself a very safe and pretty competent gun. Backstops are non-negotiable, muzzle awareness the same, rifle is unloaded getting into/out of a high seat, etc, I take pains to let my companions know the rifle/shotgun is empty after unloading, etc. Basically, I'd considered the chances of an ND happening to me as very-slim to zero.

Until it happened!

I was recently unloading the chamber of my .22 after removing the mag', and my gloved knuckle caught the trigger (which takes a measured 3lb pull) as I turned the rifle onto its side to access the bolt, sending the round into the grass bank I had the muzzle pointing towards!

It was nothing overly-dramatic. I was alone, nobody saw it, nobody was hurt, the sky didn't fall in and if I wasn't making this post to this day nobody would even know about it. Muzzle awareness saved the day, so the only casualty was my pride and ego.

But! The very fact that it happened brought me out in a cold sweat, and it's been on my mind since it happened. The lesson here is beware of complacency. I was in two minds as to whether to post this, to be honest, but for me not to would be hypocritical, and if this tale makes anyone think about their own practices it can only be a good thing. From now on, gloves are off when unloading, and I'll be making certain I know exactly where my knuckles are in relation to the trigger.

I'm now wiser and a good deal humbler
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 17-06-2016 at 08:09.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

You can sit next to me now then. L2 stalk ND��
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I was always told that there were two kinds of shooters. . . . .those who have had an ND, and those who will have an ND!

I'd always pooh-poohed this assertion as I consider myself a very safe and pretty competent gun. Backstops are non-negotiable, muzzle awareness the same, rifle is unloaded getting into/out of a high seat, etc, I take pains to let my companions know the rifle/shotgun is empty after unloading, etc. Basically, I'd considered the chances of an ND happening to me as very-slim to

Until it happened!

I was recently unloading the chamber of my .22 after removing the mag', and my gloved knuckle caught the trigger (which takes a measured 3lb pull) as I turned the rifle onto its side to access the bolt, sending the round into the grass bank I had the muzzle pointing towards!

It was nothing overly-dramatic. I was alone, nobody saw it, nobody was hurt, the sky didn't fall in and if I wasn't making this post to this day nobody would even know about it. Muzzle awareness saved the day, so the only casualty was my pride and ego.

But! The very fact that it happened brought me out in a cold sweat, and it's been on my mind since it happened. The lesson here is beware of complacency. I was in two minds as to whether to post this, to be honest, but for me not to would be hypocritical, and if it this tale makes anyone think about their own practices it can only be a good thing. From now on, gloves are off when unloading, and I'll be making certain I know exactly where my knuckles are in relation to the trigger.

I'm now wiser and a good deal humbler
    The Day we stop learning, is the Day we stop living.

I feel I should add, A glove with the split finger option was involved, but still an ND. Mr Farrington was not best pleased! ��
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You won't be the first or last to have an ND. I had one a few years ago. I flicked the safety off and bang, finger nowhere near the trigger. Faulty trigger unit. Was pointed in a safe direction as I was about to shoot a buck

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. I remember plenty of people getting 28 days Restriction of Privileges for an ND.. As you will see from the below it even happens to the professionals......

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3269836.html

Cheers fellas. It goes to serve that complacency can creep up on even the most conscientious, that's for sure. Thank God for muzzle awareness. I still shudder to think of how differently it could've ended up
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I had one with a new rifle "to me" in New Mexico in 93 muzzle awareness kept all things safe but when two cowboys rode over the horizon to see what I had shot then I felt the **** factor awaken in me.
    Martin

Good post and just shows that good drills should prevent injury or accidents when an ND does occur. The more time spent with firearms both the actual carrying of them and the process of operating/unloading increases the chance of an ND. The link about the police above highlights this perfectly. 2100 firearms officers had 125 NDs (half were TASER) over a 5 year period, bearing in mind each officer loads/unloads three weapons each twice a shift and work on average 200 days/1600 hours a year thats not too bad and shows how less likely as recreational stalkers we are to have an ND, BUT it still happens. As long as no one gets hurt and we learn from it then its not the end of the world.

Shoot for long enough and in enough situations and it will happen

the only thing that matters is muzzle awareness so if and when it does happen it is not into someone's leg or the sky!