Finally got my Pelicase cut out

Robbo25

Finally managed to cut out my Pelican 3300 today for up and coming trips to Germany.

Quite pleased how it came out although not quite perfect! Kit should be nice and secure now for those longer trips for Boar etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 155
Hahaha

What the heck do you think the layer of foam underneath holds fella.

Just need to wirk out how we can stop mike loosing documents now

Indeed. Borrowed a friends last year having bashed up an aluminium case previously.

So impressed i bit the bullet and brought one a few weeks ago.

Hopefully it will last for many years

Robbo25

Indeed. Borrowed a friends last year having bashed up an aluminium case previously.

So impressed i bit the bullet and brought one a few weeks ago.

Hopefully it will last for many years

Robbo25

I got one for my Greenland trip last year. After 8 flights and being dragged a mile or so. Not to mention being posted with little besides my name and address (2nd hand off ebay). It still looks new.

I may be after a longer one soon and I don't think I'll look beyond peli.

I cut space our for a cash tin with ammo in after this picture.

received_831154016940557.jpeg

Last edited:
Beware if you are going thru an airport customs check, they went ballistic last winter because knives were in the gun cases, put them in your checked baggage. Also remember that ammunition does not travel with the weapon!

no experience of port customs procedure but will find out in September

Hi Tony

Im aware of the ammo and have a little peli 1150 case which goes in my checked luggage. Allowed upto 5kg

The knife is an interesting one! Travelled from Manchester last year and 3 agencies/depts checked the case saw it and were ok as were the German/french authorities and that was police, security and army due to hightend checks after a security alert!!!

Will be travelling through Gatwick this time so will see how it goes.. I will ask them whete they would prefer the knife at check in.

thsnks for the pointer

Robbo25

Hope you have weighed the Pelicase with your rifle in and then checked your luggage allowance, you would be surprised how much they eat into your luggage allowance. You will be fine if you are only doing a short trip but you need to think seriously about the weight of stuff you are taking if you are going for longer.....my pal forgot this when we were at the airport and it cost him an extra £400 on his New Zealand trip!

i am guessing you case is 10kg, now add you rifle and your 5kg of ammo and you won't be far short of 19kg already!

Last edited:
Hi Tony

Im aware of the ammo and have a little peli 1150 case which goes in my checked luggage. Allowed upto 5kg

The knife is an interesting one! Travelled from Manchester last year and 3 agencies/depts checked the case saw it and were ok as were the German/french authorities and that was police, security and army due to hightend checks after a security alert!!!

Will be travelling through Gatwick this time so will see how it goes.. I will ask them whete they would prefer the knife at check in.

thsnks for the pointer

Robbo25

I think Tony is remembering the same situation I encountered last year.

A week before I was due to travel, one of the guns travelling from Heathrow to Croatia to shoot boar had his knife in his rifle case. He'd already dropped his suitcase off, but when he was airside and Customs opened the case and saw the knife they told him that he couldn't leave it there and had to take it back and check it in.

The reason, apparently, was that if someone broke open the case before it was loaded on the plane they would have access to a knife (and yes, I know, there was a rifle in there, and that the case was locked). By the time the unfortunate hunter had got back through to check-in, packed the knife, and returned airside, he missed the plane. As a result he had to travel out for the following week's trip that I was on.

We were all warned to place any sharp objects in our checked-in baggage, something I wouldn't hesitate to do again!

I think Tony is remembering the same situation I encountered last year.

A week before I was due to travel, one of the guns travelling from Heathrow to Croatia to shoot boar had his knife in his rifle case. He'd already dropped his suitcase off, but when he was airside and Customs opened the case and saw the knife they told him that he couldn't leave it there and had to take it back and check it in.

The reason, apparently, was that if someone broke open the case before it was loaded on the plane they would have access to a knife (and yes, I know, there was a rifle in there, and that the case was locked). By the time the unfortunate hunter had got back through to check-in, packed the knife, and returned airside, he missed the plane. As a result he had to travel out for the following week's trip that I was on.

We were all warned to place any sharp objects in our checked-in baggage, something I wouldn't hesitate to do again!

I guess this is the advantage of cheap knives such as moras, any probs and just bin it. Not the best idea, but easier than missing flights.

Hi Tony

thsnks for the pointer

Robbo25

I fly from Gatwick with firearms quite frequently and it is a breath of fresh air compared to Heathrow :D and the plus side is the handling charge for each leg is much less - Heathrow was £100 each way last time I flew from there vs. £22 the last time I went out of Gatwick but not sure if this is an airport thing or airline dependant?

Double check what your airline says about ammo and the bolt for the rifle, my norm is rifle in the rifle case and bolt and ammo in the suitcase - no need for locked metal box for either as long as ammo is in 'manufacturers' sealed boxes (I roll my own so have a couple of Norma boxes and plastic inners for hunting ammo and a big pile of Sako boxes, 300 rounds worth, for the competition ammo which I use to keep them happy - generally stick them in ziplock bags too just to stop spillage if the worst comes to the worst). When on hunting trips the knives go in the rifle case & again never been questioned.

Went Eurotunnel to France boar shooting earlier in the year and their rules are bolt and ammo in a separate bag to the rifle too.

As for weight, yep, Peli cases are heavy but as you generally need to add firearms as special baggage you can get (and pay for) a separate allowance for them but my two competition rifles with scopes and a few tools in a Peli 1750 come in just over 20kg - if asked I say something like 'bugger my bathroom scales must be out as it was a shade under 20kg when I weighed it all' and have never been charged for excess baggage.

Back