Ruger .204

For those of you who have used one, did you like it

And what manufacturer did you go for

Thanks in advance

Try the SEARCH function on the site, PLEASE. It saves time for everyone.

A post generates a host of synonyms & similes, which show that the same query was answered a few months ago. ........

204 ruger

Try the SEARCH function on the site, PLEASE. It saves time for everyone.

A post generates a host of synonyms & similes, which show that the same query was answered a few months ago. ........

204 ruger
very good, helpful that too - other than the fact that there is only two people that have used a .204 on that thread....

A few things -:

Why read it, if it has no interest to you - save some of your valuable time.
Have you ever had a .204 ruger or used one?
Anything sensible to contribute to this thread?
The only reason why I ask is that I'm still toying with the idea of a .204 and would be interested in real life experience from people who have used one, so I don't mind using up some of my obviously less valuable time by reading this thread........

Iv had one for 3 years now a semi custom remi 700 as a cartridge it is a great long range vermin rifle and out to 300 is a great fox round and if I was to get another knowing what I do now is get a factory tikka or sako . If you reload the 39grain blitz King or 40 grain vmax are perfect all the best Benji

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint with GRS stock and third eye bottom metal and mags and DPT mod all work done by the legendary Steve Kershaw.
It is my go to rifle at the minute, love it to bits point and shoot on foxes out to about 250.
Super flat shooting and minimal recoil so you can see the fall of shot no bother
It loves 32 grn Hornady Vmax off the shelf and will group at 100 at 0.5 all day long.

Last edited:
I bought a .204 when they first became available over here in the UK. At the time there were only Ruger and Howa being imported. I fancied the Ruger but couldn't get one anywhere but Brian Fox, who was the Howa importer had a couple so I went with the Howa in stainless with a fat barrel.

I absolutely love the calibre, as far as I'm concerned there is nothing to dislike about it. Point and shoot as far as my ability or old eyes can see. No other calibre has given me such confidence in taking long range shots on small targets. I'ts my go to rifle and has been since the day I bought it.

It shoots 32gr a treat but regrettably does not like the 40's which I would have like to have tried.

If I could only own 2 rifles one would be a .204 and the other being something for deer. It copes with everything from squirrels in the garden to a fox on the moor.

very good, helpful that too - other than the fact that there is only two people that have used a .204 on that thread....

Anything sensible to contribute to this thread?

The only reason why I ask is that I'm still toying with the idea of a .204 and would be interested in real life experience from people who have used one, so I don't mind using up some of my obviously less valuable time by reading this thread........

Then it's obvious that some posters can't use, can't be bothered, or maybe don't believe in the site Search Function?

Once posted, the earlier post links laterally to every thread with this calibre in the Title. The search function displays all Posts containing the calibre, so it's likely that all the 'pros & cons' have been answered already.

That's reliable advice, and a sensible contribution.

How about trying it first? It's free, and a lot quicker than posting.

No need to sign on either.:p

For those of you who have used one, did you like i

I specifically asked this as there was no worthwhile info found when I searched

I asked for a response from those who had used ONE !!!!

Not sure why I bothered, ????

I've had a Sako 85 Varmint Laminated Stainless with the longer 600mm barrel for about 4 years, it's incredibly accurate with everything I've tried in it, including 32grain hornady factory, 32 and 40 grain nosler ballistic tip homeloads, berger 35grain flat base and 40 grain boat tails. all shoot under 1moa, and the 35grain bergers are one jagged hole at 100 meters and are devastating on foxes. The 204 is a great varmint round but in the real world it wont do anything a 223 cant do and you wont be able to use it on small deer

Absolutely fantastic, Savage Weather Warrior 16 with Rifle Basics trigger. Reloaded with 39 blitz kings under Reloader 10x. 8x32x56 mm PA scope. Incredible accuracy go to rifle, clinically accurate and v quiet with Wildcat Evolution moddy. Lethal on anything at ranges to dream about. Superb on foxs and explodes magpies at silly ranges. Its like using a surgical instrument.

D

CZ527 25.5" barrel. 39gr gamekings. Longest rabbit 294m, longest fox 317m. A real fun round no hold over out to 250m. If you hit the bunny in the head you can still eat it, there will be no head though. You won't look back.

I currently use a .204 and. 223 as foxing rifles both are factory t3s and both do the job but the .204 spends more time out the cabinet, I find it more accurate, quieter and just nicer to shoot. I reload for it using 32g v max and 39g blitzking preferring the 32g for crows.

I have two, a T3 super varmint with zeiss 6 - 24x56 and a remmy 700 vlsf with pulsar N750a. predominately use 32g v max factory ammo in both. Had them both for a few years now. Brilliant foxing caliber, crows out to 500 yrd plus no problem. You won't be disappointed. Just got my renewal back with a slot for a .17 Hornet, going to give that a whirl for the crows :)

I had a Ruger 77 MkII in .204 and I have to say I wish I had never sold the thing,it is a phenominal round and devastating on Charlie,and I have headshot Rabbits at 260yds one after the other.It was as you can see in the pic a heavy barrel and that was the only reason I did sell it because traipsing field after field with a very heavy rifle on your shoulder does take it's toll.But,funnily enough I got a message to the chap that bought it the other day to say that if he ever decides to sell it to give me a bell and I would have it back like a shot(pun intended)

IMG_16710001.jpg

Martin

Back