Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to start reloading now

Going to start reloading now

Previously on the forum I asked for help about starting reloading. And got a few p,m's regarding this, and very thankful.
    Since then I have read about It, and watched a few tutorial videos on you tube. Some good, some not so !!.
    I intend to reload for .22H .223 and .270 . But I will start with one calibre "undecided " as for now.
    As I'm just starting out, I have looked at few on the market. From the the very basic to mid range products.

I'm also thinking about buying used equipment. My question Is, what would you recomend. I don't want to spend a lot of money to start with, because It may be for me, or It may not.
    Your thoughts please

Quote Originally Posted by penta View Post
    Previously on the forum I asked for help about starting reloading. And got a few p,m's regarding this, and very thankful.
    Since then I have read about It, and watched a few tutorial videos on you tube. Some good, some not so !!.
    I intend to reload for .22H .223 and .270 . But I will start with one calibre "undecided " as for now.
    As I'm just starting out, I have looked at few on the market. From the the very basic to mid range products.

I'm also thinking about buying used equipment. My question Is, what would you recomend. I don't want to spend a lot of money to start with, because It may be for me, or It may not.
    Your thoughts please
    There is probably more 223 data out there than any other caliber.

Lee stuff produces perfectly servicable ammo.

Your thoughts please
    I think that you should look to get a single stage press. For rifle rounds they are more accurate than a turret or progressive press. Load for whichever calibre you use the most as it will get you using the equipment. Lee dies will do the job perfectly well.

Secondhand kit is the way to start as presses never wear out with hobby levels of usage (it only can rust if kept in a bad environment) the dies from all the makers will do the job I would go for buying a new electronic scale and a set of check weights to callibrate it though.
    Martin

+1 buy well buy once would be my advise , and stay away from any press with plastic parts would be another
    enjoy the ride lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Secondhand kit is the way to start as presses never wear out with hobby levels of usage (it only can rust if kept in a bad environment) the dies from all the makers will do the job I would go for buying a new electronic scale and a set of check weights to callibrate it though.
    Martin

You won't get much better value than the Lee breech lock challenger kit. All you need to add is dies, a case trimming length gauge for your calibre and a reloading manual (and powder, primers, cases & bullets). This should come in at under 200.

If you want to give reloading a try really cheaply there is the excellent Lee loader for around 30. If you want to vary charges with this you will need a scale.

Thank you all. And yes I have been looking at scales from balance to digital.

Thank you all. And yes I have been looking at scales from balance to digital.
    Personally, I would avoid the latter if on a budget.

Thanks, I have seen these, could be an option. Certainly a budget way to start out

SD Regular
    The problem with starting reloading is like starting any other hobby where there is essential equipment, useful equipment, seldom used equipment and totally unnecessary equipment. As an example I once bought a golf loving friend a "golf ball marker" I saw in a charity shop. he laughed his head off saying that most of them ended up there as golfers simply used an indelible felt pen to mark their balls.

So with reloading.

Basic kit for reloading rifle calibres is decide which is your longest cartridge and get a press that will handle that. So that would need to be a compound leverage press. Then buy a set of standard full length dies. Your are reloading a hunting rifle and benchrest dies are a waste of time for that. The rifle will never shoot to any better accuracy using benchrest dies over standard dies.

Most presses will come new with an arm to prime the cases "on the press". Add those primers, fired or new cases and bullets and bar the TWO essential equipment items you are done. Those essential equipment pieces are good scales. Beam or electronic it doesn't matter as long as you know how to use them properly. And a good case lubricant.

If you want to go absolutely basic, and have an arbor press (or a mallet) you can use a Lee Loader. Personally although it produces perfectly good ammunition I wouldn't bother.

All the rest, case length trimmers, flash hole reamers, primer pocket uniformers, factory crimp dies (Lee...which are excellent), case tumblers, run out measuring sets, are just in the range of seldom used, useful, totally unnecessary (although not it that order).

So IMHO you can get away with just three items. Press, dies, scales. And one consumable. Lube. Plus, of course, primers, powder, cases and bullets. Others will have other opinions but for a hunting rifle at hunting ranges they won't have any discernible effect on accuracy...just on your bank balance!