Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zastava Bolt Actions

Zastava Bolt Actions

Hi, thinking about a new (well second hand) rifle and really like the look of a Zastava on a 98 action. Dont know much about them but love the 98 action and like things that are made out of real wood and proper metal.

Has anyone any experience of them and do they have good triggers?

Cheers, Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by wcog106 View Post
    Hi, thinking about a new (well second hand) rifle and really like the look of a Zastava on a 98 action. Dont know much about them but love the 98 action and like things that are made out of real wood and proper metal.

Has anyone any experience of them and do they have good triggers?

Cheers, Martyn.
    I had one in 30-06 and it as a rough cob. I am pretty tolerant but the tooling marks on the underside of the action even shocked me. Accuracy was only acceptable. This was quite a while back, though. Things might be different now.~Muir

Father has one
    A .243 stutzen
    I honestly can't remember last time i saw it out the cabinet , he likes it, I haven't fired it so can't comment on the trigger , also accurate enough from what I remember

Paul

I didn't think there was an importer for the UK. I believe very close to the original '98 specs though.

David.

They're pretty popular here - cheap but a good rifle. They've been making commercial 98s for years but under different names. I think whitworth, interarms, Remington 798 are some. The curren crop are reasonably well finished, maybe not quite as much as a 550 but ok. The wood is plain but ok, people are building nice customs out of them. They generally shoot well out off he box and function fine. Good as a work rifle or clean/slick it up a bit and maybe restock for a really nice one. I'd own one before any push feed...

just throwing it out there, but an online retailer here has stainless synthetics for $455. I think wood/blue is more like $700. There are no export restrictions here...
    Last edited by harrygrey382; 17-06-2016 at 18:16.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Likely by the time your done getting it to shoot like you want it to, you will have spent as much money as a quality rifle would have cost. You can pay now, or you can pay later.

I had one in 6.5x57, it went back due to the scope base srew holes being drilled crooked

The current crop don't shoot any worse than most other factory rifles. People just want them to as they're cheap. You certainly don't have to sink a lot of money in to get them real good.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Have one in .22 on the shelf, barrel etc stamped CZ.

I've been told that they are made on the machines FN sold after stopping making the FN mauser. The man , now deceased, that told me that was very knowledgeable about the Liège gun trade.
    Zastave probably doesn't finish them as good as FN did.

Would the action suit as a donor action ? Or is the action also of very low standard?