Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedantry again.

Pedantry again.

Along with people terming bullets "HEADS", one I have kept to myself long since Brithunter left us, "BROUGHT". .... Instead of "BOUGHT". I have bought something, ... To buy, & the completely different, ... It was Brought to me, transported, moved, teeth have now stopped itching, for a while at least, now where is that tin hat!😁
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

No tin hat needed.

David.

Up there with:
    There, their and they're
    Wear, where and we're
    Too, two and to

I feel like the Grammar Police sometimes, but sit on my hands as I wonder if it really matters enough to p*ss people off everybl**dytime it happens
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't see the problem with grammar police, as long as each Chief Constable of 'the force' doesn't make up his own slightly different rules !

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Up there with:
    There, their and they're
    Wear, where and we're
    Too, two and to

I feel like the Grammar Police sometimes, but sit on my hands as I wonder if it really matters enough to p*ss people off everybl**dytime it happens
    I guess it improves your reading skills when you read grammatically incorrect sentances.

As per usual some people are in a rush to press the reply button.......

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...=1#post1120298

Then claim it is not their fault!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

An acquaintance is a union leader for a teaching union. He often uses their, there and they're incorrectly. Including on press releases.

It's a little bit embarrassing if you ask me.

Language is an ever changing thing. Look at a movie from the 1940's and there are significant differences. Read some Thomas Hardy or D. H. Lawrence and there's even more. Go back to Shakespeare's time and need I say more?

The problem is that not all of this change is for the better. Has the difference between American English and British English improved things or made them worse? A matter of opinion I would suggest. Even the spoken word is changing. People used to "think" things. Increasingly, they now "fink" things. That used to be only the (for want of a better expression) thick people, but now it's nearly anyone under a certain age.

I suspect in the long run, when you begin to notice that language has changed, you have reached a certain age.

Surely only fick people fink!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    As per usual some people are in a rush to press the reply button.......

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...=1#post1120298

Then claim it is not their fault!

Tim.243
    My advice to you would be to advise Whitebeard you are sorry for your post since many government websites, from which he copied his post, truncate the copied text and compress it - some of mine are the same and it is just not worth the trouble to re-edit them.