Thread: All Steamed Up

All Steamed Up

On one marsh I shoot there is a spot where the sea wall has been washed away so getting over is not bad, however getting off is a very long wait.
    What I wanted was a dingy which will fit in the buck of my Ranger, this one came up at the right price and it fits!

There are a few other spots it will work so once the work is finished I will test it on the farm lake then on the marsh.
    Both wooden runners were missing so I brought two lengths of white Oak (6.00) thinking they would follow the shape of the hull!

Plan B make a steamer and form! Nice and simple with a 1/4 bsp fitting and one end welded up, sealed with rag, always a learning curve so I ended up adding around %15 off the form to get the right shape. Rain stopped the fitting! 5mm stainless bolts and a high strength bonding gunk for the sticking part!

Things on my list before the season are floating gun slip and life jacket!!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Nice job Tim,

leave them in the form longer than you think is required, it does the timber no harm,

you are correct always add 15 - 20% longer to allow for the curve and trimming off, always better to have too much and trim off , than have too little and start again,

you our can also just soak the timber in water for a few days and let it dry naturally in the form,

steaming is quicker though

kjf
    Last edited by Kjf; 17-06-2016 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjf View Post
    Nice job Tim,

leave them in the form longer than you think is required, it does the timber no harm,

you are correct always add 15 - 20% longer to allow for the curve and trimming off, always better to have too much and trim off , than have too little and start again,

you our can also just soak the timber in water for a few days and let it dry naturally in the form,

steaming is quicker though

kjf
    Thank you, as it was a tender then a name change to Mud Skipper should be ok lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Done lots of steaming of oak timbers. I use a wooden made from four lengths of cheap decking timber. Keeps the heat in with a wall paper stripper providing the steam. For every one inch of thickness allow about an hour. The wood needs to be hot before you bend. And then work fast. I have steamed ribs on wooden boats quite a few times. Fun and satisfying.

Do make sure you straight grain with no grain running out of the edge of the plank - it will split.

One of these would be simple to make and light. The Fliptail folding dinghy
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 20-06-2016 at 08:27.