Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Total Wild Boar numbers

  1. #1

    Total Wild Boar numbers

    Has anyone any idea of the number of wild boar we have in the UK?

    One of my customers told me they had shot 500 last year on one farm in Gloucestershire.

    I remember seeing a Forestry Commission projection of the numbers, if there where 25 breading pairs of wild boar, with the cull rate as it is at present the number could be as high 65,000 within 6 years.

    With these figures if there where 250 couples breading, that's times 10, that would give us 650,000 wild boar in 6 years.

    If one farm has shot 500 in one year how many are really out there?

  2. #2
    'official' numbers and reality will be greatly different although they are 'increasing' in number and distribution without question. 3-5k may be a moderate estimate but even if it was an over estimate, they will be there soon

  3. #3
    Nobody has a clue how many wild boar there are in the UK. Up to a few years ago we would get estimates in the shooting press and elsewhere on how many boar we had in Sweden. If you then looked at the numbers reported shot to the powers that be it was clear to see that boar numbers were well under estimated.
    One clued up person worked out that by 2011 we would shoot as many boar as moose (90-1000000) . Apart from 2 very hard winters in a row that knocked back the boar population a bit, he was spot on the number of boar shot yearly. The number of boar shot has over taken the number of moose shot now.
    I never thought in my life time that i would see boar on my ground. Suddenly there were boar heading this way from all sides and they have been here for nearly 5 years.
    To my mind part of the increase and spread of boar is down to the massive over feeding of boar by hunters.

  4. #4
    If even half the claims are true about the numbers being shot in or around the Forest of Dean (e.g. 500 on one farm last year) there must be more boar in the forest than they have trees to hide behind.
    Last edited by 8x57; 18-06-2016 at 20:34.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  5. #5
    In one of the Scandinavian countries they did their usual estimate of an animal (I can't remember which, but a big mammal), then got a shed load of soldiers to walk the wood just about hand in hand. This gave them a nearly perfect count.

    I think the real count was 10x that of the estimate.

    So does anyone really know how many of anything we have?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    In one of the Scandinavian countries they did their usual estimate of an animal (I can't remember which, but a big mammal), then got a shed load of soldiers to walk the wood just about hand in hand. This gave them a nearly perfect count.

    I think the real count was 10x that of the estimate.

    So does anyone really know how many of anything we have?
    I seem to recall reading about that in the BDS journal some years ago Eddie. Didn't that walk through take place on an island?

    I've come to the personal conclusion after reading and hearing a lot about several methodologies of carrying out a count including thermal imaging from the air and on the ground that at best it can only be a guestimate and that the real figures are probably well in excess of previous estimates.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I seem to recall reading about that in the BDS journal some years ago Eddie. Didn't that walk through take place on an island?

    I've come to the personal conclusion after reading and hearing a lot about several methodologies of carrying out a count including thermal imaging from the air and on the ground that at best it can only be a guestimate and that the real figures are probably well in excess of previous estimates.
    Roe deer Kalo in Denmark?

  8. #8
    A vet friend was telling me yesterday that one of his farm clients in Gloucestershire shot 600 boar last year on several farms within the Dean

  9. #9
    I remember Richard Prior telling us one time that he reckoned he knew every deer on his patch. He then had the opportunity to go up in a helicopter - this was a long time ago - and he was amazed at the number of deer he saw and where they were. He informed us that "basically, you will have no idea how many deer you have, but it's likely to be at least three times as many as you think."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    A vet friend was telling me yesterday that one of his farm clients in Gloucestershire shot 600 boar last year on several farms within the Dean
    With numbers like that I wonder how quick they would spread if boar had a season or night shooting reduced.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 21-05-2016, 10:46
  2. Available DRIVEN WILD BOAR OCT 2015 2 Days 40 to 50 Boar . BULGARIA
    By A1Decoy.co.uk in forum Wild Boar Opportunities
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-09-2015, 07:47
  3. Available Wild boar wild boar, in hungary with sikamalc
    By sikamalc in forum Wild Boar Opportunities
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-03-2015, 10:12
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 17:52
  5. Boar numbers this season
    By hellboy in forum Wild Boar
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-05-2014, 14:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •