Thread: What, nothing about the rugby??

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

What, nothing about the rugby??

I thought they were both pretty insightful games.

England's improvement continues, but the All Blacks are still at a different level from every other team.

Not watched the Ireland/Springboks game yet.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I've watched them. England continue to improve in leaps and bounds. They have won the first two tests convincingly. You'd have though that Australia would have come out all guns blazing after losing the first, but they just didn't have an answer. Old stagers like Cole, Robshaw and Haskell are playing man of the match type performances and the whole team seems to have lifted a few levels. It certainly shows the suits at the RFU the benefits of employing a coach that knows his stuff.

Wales have lost their first two tests, predictably perhaps against the All Blacks. I just think the Wales team are a bit over the hill now, with their star players all pretty old and as yet, not much in the way of new blood coming in. Just not a good blend of old and new there at the moment. But hey, they are playing the All Blacks. I expected Ireland to have a torrid time in South Africa, but they managed to win the first test and just ran out of steam to be pipped at the post in the second, setting up a decider. Well done, Ireland, who have lost some awesome players to retirement recently but are still a force to be reckoned with.

Could the near future see the end of the dominance of the Southern Hemisphere? Time will tell.

The differences between a PE Teacher and an international coach are starting to show aren't they. I have always disliked Haskell and never rated him. Well I have to eat my words, he has been a revelation this tour. A very dear friend of mine (life long Wasps fan) passed away in April of this year at the ripe old age of 41, we had many wine fuelled debates about him. I have to confess that he was right and I was wrong, but I'm still a Gloucester fan so what do I know!

Equally I agree reference Robshaw and Cole, but let's be fair Hartley has also been a revelation. Still can't make my mind up about Brown though.

Nick
    “I cook with wine, and sometimes I even add it to the food”

No, NickyA, I expect you were right about Haskell. He was always a big, rumbling, non-passing numb sort of player with an ego who gave away too many penalties. I believe it's the current manager that's got him eating out of his hand, playing to his strengths. So perhaps in reality, you and your departed friend were both right.

I agree with you about Hartley, always a good player I felt, certainly at the set piece, who couldn't keep himself in check, but again, giving him the captaincy has turned poacher to gamekeeper. Very clever. Brown on the other hand has his abilities in not being a bad tackler (although I'm not sure that's improved of late), generally good under the high ball, but he's never excelled with ball in hand. I recall he got a few caps on the wing a while back and looked very ordinary. He doesn't have a great turn of speed. I think giving the odd start to Alex Goode, who looked pretty on form to me in the Premiership could only help Brown (and Goode). Maybe keep them keen, like he does at scrum half.

Have,t seen the England matches yet, but the Aussie,s tonight are blaming the pitch etc and are really upset by the loss, went to the first welsh match, it's like the all blacks just throw a switch and away they go,mind you its the speed of the game and the ball handling skills we see at all levels, that is amazing, you can try to control the game by slowing it down but if they get the ball, it's like they become super charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    No, NickyA, I expect you were right about Haskell. He was always a big, rumbling, non-passing numb sort of player with an ego who gave away too many penalties. I believe it's the current manager that's got him eating out of his hand, playing to his strengths. So perhaps in reality, you and your departed friend were both right.

I agree with you about Hartley, always a good player I felt, certainly at the set piece, who couldn't keep himself in check, but again, giving him the captaincy has turned poacher to gamekeeper. Very clever. Brown on the other hand has his abilities in not being a bad tackler (although I'm not sure that's improved of late), generally good under the high ball, but he's never excelled with ball in hand. I recall he got a few caps on the wing a while back and looked very ordinary. He doesn't have a great turn of speed. I think giving the odd start to Alex Goode, who looked pretty on form to me in the Premiership could only help Brown (and Goode). Maybe keep them keen, like he does at scrum half.
    great to see Dylan come good does a great job at club leval and has stepped up and proved the doubters wrong ..plus side he's a shooting man too !! seen him and Alex waller knock some nice birds down
    Norma

Didn't see any rugby....been too busy watching the LeMans 24hrs on Eurosport...good stuff once again & excellent coverage of the whole 24 hrs racing.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

The reporting in the Sport section of today's Sunday Times on the England / Australia game is worth the full paper price on it's own.

Also The Man in The Glass poem that Paul Gustard read to the team before they ran out on to the pitch is superb.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
    And the world makes you king for a day
    Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
    And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
    Whose judgment upon you must pass
    The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
    For he’s with you, clear to the end
    And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
    If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
    And get pats on the back as you pass
    But your final reward will be heartache and tears
    If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).