Thread: Another dog question.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

Another dog question.

Are you able to bolt fox in the UK? I have never done it, but I have read how they bolt gray fox with very small terriers, around 8 lbs.. It sounds like a real fun thing to do, similar to ferreting a rabbit minus the net. Heck, I guess you could use a net too. Dogs are so much fun!

Aye done it with and without the net, althou not for a long time now.
    More restricted with codes of practice but still legal in scotland and sure still legal in eng/wales

Usually u just do it around cubbing time or extreme cold weather as most foxes don't actually live underground most of the year (apart from city foxes)

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    That's what I read as well, the reds are hard to find in a den. Grays are just the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Are you able to bolt fox in the UK? I have never done it, but I have read how they bolt gray fox with very small terriers, around 8 lbs.. It sounds like a real fun thing to do, similar to ferreting a rabbit minus the net. Heck, I guess you could use a net too. Dogs are so much fun!
    Every weekend. This one thought it could sneak past the terriers after it got out of the hole - wrong.

Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Yes you are although given time i suppose this will be outlawed along with everything else, its definitely fun when your waiting for the explosion of a fox from the hole for the waiting guns or into the net not so much fun when you realize that its not going to bolt and you have get the shovels out and start digging...!

Yes we can here in the North we can but only one terrier at a time may be entered legally.

You can still use a terrier for fox control in Wales and England for the protection of game birds but you must follow the regulations of the hunting act nothing better than seeing a terrier or Teckel doing the job it was bred for