Home loading the Blaser R8 6.5x55

Scarlet

Im looking for data on home loading the 6.5x55 Blaser R8.
1. Brass case length to the shoulder`s
2. Over all length of round from base of case to ogive of projectile.
Any weight from 85grain to 140grain. All information would be gratefully excepted..

Last edited:
Cant give you an R8 but the following are working well in my R93

140gr SST RL 17 43 COAL 3.15
140gr Nos BT N160 43.5 COAL 3.15
140gr Amax RL22 48 COAL 3.06
140gr Amax N160 43.5 COAL 3.15

Still looking for a suitable 120 GMX and 129 SST/Interbond load :rolleyes:

All of these give sub moa groups. I have the dimensions of base to shoulder and base to ogive but bear in mind each rifle/chamber is likely to be different. I full length size my case bumping the shoulder back a couple of thou from its fired dimension.

Hope that helps!

DT

Isnt that the whole idea of working up a load,because all rifles are different so custom making ammunition???

Can some one please explain this??

The 6.5x55 is not exactly a new round so are you suggesting that Blaser cannot make a chamber to CIP specs?

As this is what this sounds like.

So I suggest you load rounds to std CIP specs fire them then reload the fired cases just sizing them so they chamber sweetly. Seat bullets to base of neck and see how ell they shoot. No need for the gnats fart from the leade at all.

case length = 55mm (2.165")
length to base of neck = 47.18mm (1.852")
length to shoulder = 43.45MM (1.704")

COL = 80.0mm (3.150")

CIP max dimension in MM SAAMI in inches taken from Vhit 1st edition manual

Im looking for data on home loading the 6.5x55 Blaser R8.
1. Brass case length to the shoulder`s
2. Over all length of round from base of case to ogive of projectile.
Any weight from 85grain to 140grain. All information would be gratefully excepted..

To measure case head to mid point on case shoulder you need a headspace guage. A number of manufacturers make them, Hornady is probably the easiest to use.
When you have one, take a number of fired cases from your rifle and measure using the guage.
Take an average of the cases measured and use that dimension.
The measurements you obtain will vary slightly (1-3thou) due to varying expansion & springback properties of the brass.
This will give you the fired case headspace dimension you should use.
Set your Full Length resizing die so that when you resize a fired case, it just bumps the case shoulder back no more than .002" (2 thou)

As to loaded round OAL, trial & error to find what works best with each bullet, but a Hornady Comparator guage will help maintain consistent seating depth from ogive to case head.

Size the case until is fits easily in the chamber. Lock the dies. Find a starting load with your powder of choice. Seat the bullet to specified OAL....

Do the work.~Muir

To put you guys in the picture. I have access to an over all length gauge and im fully aware of collecting data from one.
Im also familiar with working up loads with regards powder charge.
The collection point to pick the gun up is quite some distance from me. However I have arranged to shoot the rifle in en-route at a private shooting range facility.
So I intend on taking some already made up rounds for this process. Hence the request for projectile length.
Save me taking all my loading gear and knocking up rounds whilst doing the shooting in.
Once im back home I can then establish an ogive length for different projectiles to my own satisfaction.
I do have data for a factory Federal 140g Power Shok taken using a bullet comparator and vernier gauge.
Which works out to 2.322 being the longest and 2.315 the shortest out of the same box.

To put you guys in the picture. I have access to an over all length gauge and im fully aware of collecting data from one.
The collection point to pick the gun up is quite some distance from me. However I have arranged to shoot the rifle in en-route at a private shooting range facility.
So I intend on taking some already made up rounds for this process. Hence the request for projectile length.
Save me taking all my loading gear and knocking up rounds whilst doing the shooting in.
Once im back home I can then establish an ogive length for different projectiles to my own satisfaction.
I do have data for a factory Federal 140g Power Shok taken using a bullet comparator and vernier gauge.
Which works out to 2.322 being the longest and 2.315 the shortest out of the same box.

Ah, understood. This was for clairvoyant R8 owners who are proficient with an OAL gauge.:(

As it is very unlikely that two chambers will be identical you will have to start with industry standards and go from there .................................... surely.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a selection of factory ammo?

scarlet

2130martin is spot on. Keep things simple. I shot centre fire rifles for 35+years before I ever reloaded a single round of ammunition. When I did start reloading I went for nearly a year before I was happy to use reloaded ammunition on live quarry.

I do think you are missing the point here completely and suggest you have a long hard conversation with your mentor before you do anything else.

Regards

JCS

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a selection of factory ammo?

Hello Marty nice to hear from you.. Soz about the chocolate crane discussion some months ago :D
Yes purchasing factory ammunition would be the easy option but I think I went one better than that? Like I mentioned in an earlier post I did measure the length of some factory loaded 140g Federal.
So seeming that there`s no clairvoyant R8 owners knocking about who are competent with the use of a OAL guage I shall probably use that data to start with.
The only mentor I had was quite some time ago campbellsmith and the most important thing he taught me was never poach Deer in the snow ;)

You should pick a box of factory ammo to test the rifle with. If you are buying it there will be plenty of opportunities to handload for it, and the factory ammo will give you a base-line of what the brass should look like, what kind of accuracy you get, and how well the weapon functions. I think trying to custom handload for a rifle at long distance is a little like trying to buy a pair of shoes over the phone.~Muir

Thanks for that Muir

I'll learn the skill of reloading on my .223 which I use for paper punching

Meanwhile I'll stick with 'factory' for stalking - however even when I've learned the skill I will only reload the 6.5 for paper punching until I've put the time in to develop a reliable hunting load

Thanks for that Muir

I'll learn the skill of reloading on my .223 which I use for paper punching

Meanwhile I'll stick with 'factory' for stalking - however even when I've learned the skill I will only reload the 6.5 for paper punching until I've put the time in to develop a reliable hunting load

Sensible approach:thumb:

Ive a confession to make to you Muir. I have many times over the years brought footwear over the phone and also used internet sites to do the same..
Gave them a specified OAL for the desired footwear and up to yet the sizes 8`s have been delivered in size 8 apart from once..
That was when Le Chameau sent me a pair of goggs with size 8 stamped on them but realistically they were about a 12.
No chance of causing increased pressure signs to the fit. But did increase my blood pressure.
Now Mr Campbellsmith I see that you joined our forum approximately the same time as me (2010). I`ve also noticed that you have quite a number of contributions to this excellent forum.
In fact over three thousand more than me in about the same amount of time?
Mind when you post such absurd content its easy to notch up the figures.
Gives the members the visual impression that your experienced ,lol. I let you come to your own conclusion on your last posting because to me its a rather silly question that you've asked..
Unlike mine which all I want is figure`s from experienced knowledgeable people.

Back