Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insect repellant

Insect repellant

Heard the Avon so soft had changed - what's everyone using now, got muller rd in Friday

Avon Skin So Soft was fine for watching an especially tricky episode of Countryfile. You need something designed for the job if you are actually going outdoors.

Get yourself a bottle of Smidge and you will never have another midge bite, the active chemical was designed to work and it simply does. One of the big advantages is that it is relatively safe when compared to DEET and it doesn't melt stuff, so bits don't drop off your car when you use it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Jungle formula, I have heard good things about this. Just bought some so I will post the results in a few weeks time.
    Tusker

I've used jungle formula in the jungle and it's good stuff.

smidge sounds promising though so I'm giving that a bash whilst I'm out on my mtb next week

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Jungle formula, I have heard good things about this. Just bought some so I will post the results in a few weeks time.
    Tusker
    Be careful if it is the version containing DEET as over time this will melt plastic stuff so it is worth taking some precautions with the plastic bits on your rifle, or knife, or car, or fly line...

Some claim that if it is less than 20% encapsulated DEET then it will not melt things but I've also seen people say that this isn't true, it is just that it takes longer before you see the effects. I've no idea of the truth of either of these statements.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Smidge is very good, I used Tabard and Expedition, but both melted or discolored plastic, I'll stick with Smidge this season.

Quote Originally Posted by marrajack View Post
    Heard the Avon so soft had changed - what's everyone using now, got muller rd in Friday
    Neem oil.
    You can get it from Neal's Yard.
    Keeps everything away including the Wife

Smidge every time the midges still bug you but don't bite. If they're that bad use a veil as well.

Smidge ordered Gents. Thanks for the help