Land Rover Disco Shooting Platform

WiltsPat

I'm thinking about putting some form of platform contraption on the roof of my disco to act as a high seat as there arent too many usefull trees on my permission. I dont want to spend much in the way of money so it will likely be a DIY affair

Anyone have any experience of doing similar? I can be fairly inventive when the need arises but no point recreating the wheel :lol:

Pat

I think (without knowing where you want to put it and things) that you would be better off with a Free-standing seat. YOu can leave it there so the deer will get used to it, an then visit when they are fully accustomed to it IMO/Experiance if a buck sees a Landy in a field that isnt normally there he will avoid it like the plague.

But you might just proove me wrong.

Sam

LOL. Ive got a mental image of me on a deck chair on top of the Disco, possibly a beer in hand, very civilised.

If it has twin sunroofs remove the rear seat, this will make access to rear roof area easier, then adapt the roof so you can flip it open - pop up and shoot standing / using roof as "rest".

That way you dont have to make any major alterations and you have the elevated position.

Having had a couple of Disco's, I would lean towards Redmist's thinking, as my current Landie's attachment would be thoroughly unsuitable for your needs, I did toy with the idea of altering a bycycle rack fitment, (with a small amount of strengthening), or even something that I have seen hauling a single motocrosser in similar fashion, I have also used the folding type high seat (laddertype), afixed to a wheel clamp on one of the rear wheels!, worked really well that one!.... a couple of views of the current buggy, with one of the many others!(outside toenails 'R' us!.

Some great ideas here, and i empathise with Jimbo...it would require a bit of greasing up to get me thru that sunroof :lol:

Because I do as much foxing as Stalking my view was to have some form of solid platform sat on top of the roof rails but sat behind the IR Lamps that Ive got.

I sense a "Pimp my Disco" project coming on, got to have something to fill in the gaps between shooting and sleeping lol

I will try and get a picture of my mates disco with his home made high seat this weekend.

Between the ladder roof bars he has a welded frame covered with xpm to provide a stable floor plate, between the bars he has a piece of bar in which he fits an office swivel chair ( central pole, less castors) this allows him to swivel 360 unhindered. To this he has welded a number of attachments one of which allows him to fit a golfing brolley (he doesnt like the rain) and a rifle rest.this gives a real stable platform once you are used to it. He has also taken an auxcillary power supply from the disco to power his night vision. He gains access up the rear ladder fitted to the disco's back door. He is not a stalker but an avid fox shooter, many of which have met their peril from this high seat.

I will try and get some photos.

BJ

Back