UHI Sustainable Deer Management module

Well, 89 folk have viewed this without reply. So you don't feel completely ignored here's my thoughts (FWIW) - and no, I haven't done the module. First off, you've missed the application deadline by 6 months ... However, I would suggest it's no great loss. The outline module programme gives you the key words for an online search and if it's underpinning knowledge you are after there are any number of resources you can tap in to. Just Google 'Deer management planning' and you get 3.5 million hits! That's an awful lot of bedtime reading to be going on with...

Assuming that you aren't chasing a certificated learning course then I'd be inclined to save your £650 (I'm assuming your not Scottish?) and spend it on something useful, like some decent books. What you might miss out on is the opportunity to have your learning reviewed, dissected and critiqued by Dr Brice and your online fellows. You can always compensate for this absence of critical review by posting your thoughts, observations and comments on SD - where you will undoubtedly be reviewed, dissected and critiqued.

There's a massive amount of peer reviewed deer related scientific literature out there - much of which is freely available. I recall someone posting a request for essential deer reading and them being bombarded with suggestions by the SD membership. Have a play with the search facility and I'm sure it will turn up the relevant thread(s)?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the advice, I take your point about free online resources. I was assuming the course will be rerun this coming Jan. A couple of suggestions on books would be useful. I currently have 'conservation of a native species' by Richard Prior and 'deer stalking and management' by Lewis Potter pending in the amazon basket.. Any thoughts on them as a good place to start out? I am also interested in some pointers on how best to carry out a survey to estimate amount of vegetative damage in a given area.. I'll keep browsing.

Any thoughts on them as a good place to start out? I am also interested in some pointers on how best to carry out a survey to estimate amount of vegetative damage in a given area.. I'll keep browsing.

My thoughts (FWIW) are that Mr Prior is looked upon as pretty much the God of Roe deer management. Anything he has to say is worth reflecting on. Not read Mr Potter's book so I couldn't comment. The subject of deer, in all their glory, is massive. You need to identify which bits you want to expand your knowledge on and read accordingly. Rigboot's links are as good as any place to start for UK deer.

Interesting that you mention the 'estimation' of vegetation damage in a given area. My advice, based on fairly extensive reading and some limited observation is the WAG method! Assuming you're looking at damage caused by deer, there are any number of papers on this very subject. Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules that are universally applicable and the number of factors that bear on any calculation, frankly, does my head in. IIRC someone estimated that a single fallow consumes 2.5 tons of vegetable matter in a year (I'm sure someone on here will know the correct figure?), so a very simple estimate would be to multiply the number of fallow on the ground by 2.5 tons ... unfortunately we all know that is so simple as to be useless for any meaningful purpose. For a starter, how do you know how many fallow are actually on the ground throughout the year? Estimating deer numbers? Ho, ho ho - good luck with that - it really is a whole new box of frogs to open...
I guess you're doing some sort of academic study? This is a bit trite, but Google really is your friend...

The Deer Initiative run a one day "Deer impact survey" course, costs about £75 and teaches basic survey methods and how to log them. I found it both interesting and useful

Yes I've had a look through these and there pretty good - very accessible for a beginner such as me. However the course also sounds worth enquiring about. Found this on FC webpage - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCFB018.pdf/$FILE/FCFB018.pdf. Looks fairly heavy going but potentially a good guide..? Yes estimating numbers.. Where to begin?? Have bought the prior book now, hopefully will be a good place to start.

I have completed that module as part of an MSc. I wouldn't recommend it for many reasons.
Online delivery - poor, knowledge and expertise of module organiser - weak, scope of subject matter - limited.

skip

I did this module a few years ago and would agree with skip, in my opinion a bit of a waste of money for what it is. You would be better off spending the money on some good books and speaking to highland stalkers.

Back