Redfield Scopes

goldypurple

Has anyone tried a redfield scope?

i believe they are made by leopold, and carry a lifetime warrenty so must be pretty good.

anyone use one?

Hi MS
Thanks for that, thats the old "redfield", redfield is now back being made by leopold, they are just now being supplied in the uk and GMK are importing them. Check this link this is there new website. http://www.redfield.com/

Andy

I'm with Monkey Spanker on this; you know you're getting proven quality with a Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski or Zeiss. Second hand scopes by these maker's are regularly for sale in the classifieds section on SD, and you could also have a look at Macleod's website.

Andy. I have a Redfiield on my .22. It's fine for that, but I wouldn't put one on a centre fire rifle. Moonraker is right. I have bought a number of S&B/Swaro scopes and they hold their value well and Macleods have no issues with you part exchanging them for another Swarovski. Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Redfield scopes have had varrying quality over the years. I purchased a 4-16x40 a few years back with the intention of using it on the range and for sporting use. The light transmission was so poor I could only use it on the brightest of days outside, absolutely hopeless when the light was even slightly dim, O.K. for a .22 on a brightly lit range I suppose?

There's a leupold advertised in the classifieds section today. I would not risk putting a budget scope on a deer calibre rifle; buy cheap, buy twice is a useful maxim to remember.

so would a leoplod scope be better?

was looking at Leupold VX-1 3-9x50

I have a leopold rifleman on my .243. its cheap but ok, shot lots of fox and deer with it, holds zero and is generally ok. is it as good as my schmidt and bender 6x42 on my 308? not a chance. Dont know anything of redfield certainly no one raving about them. if on a budget get 2nd hand fixed european impo

There's a leupold advertised in the classifieds section today. I would not risk putting a budget scope on a deer calibre rifle; buy cheap, buy twice is a useful maxim to remember.

thats the best speach ive heard all day !

bite the bullet and buy the best you can afford , you will only be throwing good money buying another !!!

lee

I had a Redfield once on a deer rifle, it was ok and I have one on my dart rifle at the moment but I probably wouldn't buy another. I am a big fan of Leupold scopes for park work and varminting etc but, they do suffer from three things: Eye relief is critical, light transmission is not so good and, the reticles tend to be a bit fine for wild deer/woodland/evening stuff. Also, there is a big difference between a VX1 and a VX3. Beware of ebay, there seems to be a few counterfeit Leupolds on the market. As has been said many times on here, don't scrimp on the scope. I would have a 2nd hand Swarovski 8x50 over a new 'no-name' hi spec scope scope any day of the week. JC

Back