Having a stock painted / coated

Acm

Hi all, I've been lusting after a McMillan stock or similar for my Sako 75 for a while now, to be honest for a working rifle I struggle to justify the £400 + price tag.
What im now wondering is about having the stock painted or coated. I'm keen to hear from anyone who has had this done and been using the rifle since.
The standard Sako stock has the rubbery grip inserts on it, if painted how long is it reasonable to assume the paint will last on this ? And generally how long does it last on the rest of the rifle? It would be great to hear from anyone who paints them as a business or who has had their own equipment coated.
many thanks

Hi all, I've been lusting after a McMillan stock or similar for my Sako 75 for a while now, to be honest for a working rifle I struggle to justify the £400 + price tag.
What im now wondering is about having the stock painted or coated. I'm keen to hear from anyone who has had this done and been using the rifle since.
The standard Sako stock has the rubbery grip inserts on it, if painted how long is it reasonable to assume the paint will last on this ? And generally how long does it last on the rest of the rifle? It would be great to hear from anyone who paints them as a business or who has had their own equipment coated.
many thanks

The Sako Synthetic stock can be a difficult one to work with, I have done a fair few since 2006. The material is very oily and needs an excessive key for anything to stick. The rubber grips do not lend themselves to being coated so well due to the texture and inability to get a good key on the surface. Whilst I've done them, it doesn't take much to shift it. Obviously you can't oven cute a stock as most synthetics start to open up at around 85' and to activate most oven temp coatings it's 185-190, so you'd end up in a stick situation. Hope this helps.

I dont know about painting a stock but i have one that has been Hydro Dipped and finished with a soft touch lacquer and its been fine, mine has stippling down both sides of the stock and it has taken and stood up well to the use i have given it maybe Cerakote would also be a good option but as i have not had one done (yet) i cant comment.

Edit - i think James has answered the Cerakote option above.

Last edited:
I dont know about painting a stock but i have one that has been Hydro Dipped and finished with a soft touch lacquer and its been fine, mine has stippling down both sides of the stock and it has taken and stood up well to the use i have given it maybe Cerakote would also be a good option but as i have not had one done (yet) i cant comment.

Edit - i think James has answered the Cerakote option above.

Dipping may be an option, I've been looking at a couple of products, which do offer and rubbery feel when finished.

Cerakote is a great product, been using it for over 10 years but there limitations as with everything.

many thanks

mask the rubber grips and leave them untouched/unpainted. too soft to paint over unless you were using a very flexible finish like a plasticote or similar
paint the rest with a decent two pack, matt finish.
choose a coat of either matt lacquer or there are a few sprayable rough touch finishes.

I know exactly where you are coming from - I'm really keen to get a McM swirly for my Sako L691, so far it isn't working out. But, if I was you I would be asking myself - would a paint job be enough to satisfy?

I did a homemade camo job on a Remington 700 LTR synthetic stock riflecamo job 2.jpg Cleaned first with alcohol, took out the bolt and covered areas I didn't want paint with tape and cotton balls. Used Rustoleum camo spray paint. First a light green coat and let it dry a day, then using different colors sprayed paint on paper plates and cut out kitchen sponges into different shapes and dipped them in the paint and applied them to the gun, drying after each round. Finished with a flat clear coat. Gun has been hunted a good bit and looks the same as when I painted it. If something came off it would be easy to reapply.

Back