Starter .243.. What have you got?

Hi all,

As the title suggests I'm after my first dear rifle. I had something like a Tika M65 / T3 in mind but I'm open to suggestions. Has anyone got something theyre looking to part with? I have cash and a free slot waiting.

got a almost new bergara b14 .243 with a hardy gen V moderator, both new at the British shooting show, only fired 30 rounds and they are for sale at just £700 plus shipping to,your rfd.

it will have the rings and basses but no scope or bipod, and the wife's car will need the garage,

only selling due to health issues and no longer stalking.

regards

bob.

Last edited:
I have a tikka t3 hunter, considering parting with it after the 17th July (I want to do my DSC1 with it), could that work for you?

Fine options above, but if you are otherwise inclined, the T-3 Lite. Guaranteed accurate and carries like a dream.~Muir
(must you have a 243?? So many other fine options, like 7mm-08 or 308)

I have a tikka t3 laminate s/s 243+ ase utra sl5 moderator which have both fired under 30 rounds ,it has not been used because of illness in family.pm me if interested

Last edited:
Fine options above, but if you are otherwise inclined, the T-3 Lite. Guaranteed accurate and carries like a dream.~Muir
(must you have a 243?? So many other fine options, like 7mm-08 or 308)

I'm with Muir on this one. Have you already got the .243 slot? If not why don't you consider something a little bigger?

The only reason i say it is because you will spend a fair amount on it by the time you're done and it is only really the scope you can keep if you change in a year or two. 308 is such a great round and is available everywhere, just like .243. You will never NEED to change for anything else for UK quarry.
It has been done too many times for me to say that .243 can't take all uk quarry, it is clearly capable of it, however why hamstring yourself.

Anyway, that is just my thoughts. If you already have the slot and/or you mind is made up please disregard my last and consider a T3, weatherby vanguard, or a Howa 1500 (but not with the hogue stock)

I have used the 7mm-08 it will do everything the .308 will do but with a better choice of bullets,
Its also more versatile for all U.k. game.
In my humble opinion say's Huriagh Heape.

I regularly take all uk quary with my .243. I wouldn't personally go for a .308 because I wouldn't want to limit myself at range. To say he has made a poor choice when you don't know what it's being used for is a bit funny.

Just come back to the UK from living in Germany and am after a rifle myself. I have been using a Tikka T3 .308 for the past three years in Germany with no complaints. I seem to be going towards the Sauer 101 in .308 now. I was contemplating 6.50x55, however had conflicting reports it may not be as good as .308 for Boar??

I regularly take all uk quary with my .243. I wouldn't personally go for a .308 because I wouldn't want to limit myself at range. To say he has made a poor choice when you don't know what it's being used for is a bit funny.

You seem to have taken offence or at least taken my comments the wrong way. If offence has been taken i do apologize.
I didn't say it was a poor choice, neither of us know what it shall be used for, and i acknowledged that .243 can do exactly what you do do with it. It was purely an opinion directed at a new shooter who, as is often the case, may just presume that .243 is all he can justify as a first rifle or that it is the "done thing". If he wants a .243 then more power to him, i just don't like seeing new shooters get a .243 for the wrong reasons.

Anyway, i do not wish to derail this thread. Again, apologies if you thought i was insulting your choice in cartridge.

You seem to have taken offence or at least taken my comments the wrong way. If offence has been taken i do apologize.
I didn't say it was a poor choice, neither of us know what it shall be used for, and i acknowledged that .243 can do exactly what you do do with it. It was purely an opinion directed at a new shooter who, as is often the case, may just presume that .243 is all he can justify as a first rifle or that it is the "done thing". If he wants a .243 then more power to him, i just don't like seeing new shooters get a .243 for the wrong reasons.

Anyway, i do not wish to derail this thread. Again, apologies if you thought i was insulting your choice in cartridge.

Spot on, imo.
As a new shooter/stalker I was full sure .243 was best for me but I got chatting to a friend about calibers and there pros and cons. I then got a .308
So I think this is a valid point to be shared with new shooters.

I have both 243 and 308 and the 243 is just so versitile. I run 50g for long range fox 75BT for head shot deer and 100g for heart shot deer.

Having gained a bit of experiance id say if most of your deer shootoing is walk and stalk? get a 308 T3 SS synthetic Light and get a light weight mod to go on it(the lighter the better forget noise surpresion)

The 308 150g bullit gives more off aim knock down than the 243 with a better blood trail, so off sticks it is the better choice of round IMHO

I personaly have very little access to walk and stalk so do most of my shooting head shot from a stable platform of a high chair or bypod from a hide.

I find my much heavier 243 to be more accurate which IMHO has sod all to do with ballistics and everything to do with expected recoil and my choice of stock

I also find with a fast light BT round I can pick off a head shot at greater distance with greater confidance with the 243. The 308 has a nasty habit of going through and through on the head shot (even with BT) which concerns me with off aim shots. The 243 BT just blowes the head apart and even off aim shots hitting bone are very destructive instant kills.

Another kind of stalking I dont do is long range. Like over 200m shots. If thats likley then the 308 ballistics would be better but there are other rounds id prefer.

Ignoring the 243 308 argument

If your walking a lot stick to light weight

If your like me and will go out in all weathers then try and go Stainless synthetic

Aside from that any rifel will do the job. I love my £1000+ Sako 75 and my mate has a £4000 Blasser he swares by, but neither of us have shot half as many deer as my other mate with an old Browning A bolt thats worth about £300

cheers for all the replies guys.
I would consider getting a .308 but that slot is already filled and I don't fancy waiting for the variation turnaround time for another slot!

Not at all, reading back my comments did seem a bit stroppy, I must have either been in a rush or a bad mood haha. I was just pointing out that we don't know what he will be using it for so we can't have any opinions on his caliber choice. I think the reason .243 is so popular for beginners is the fact that ofter
n they won't be shooting too many deer but will also be shooting pleanty of foxes due to fox permission being Easyer to get.

Back