Hedge trimmer help!

Psyxologos

I was wondering if someone could help me please. I was recently given a Makita corded hedge trimmer, as my hedge (lonicera nitida ernest wilson) is mature enough for me to start using one. The only problem is that it does not cut any of the hedge, only bends some of the twigs. I suspect this has something to do with the blade, as I suspect the teeth might be too 'wide' apart (maybe more suitable to larger/thicker twigs) so instead of cutting the hedge it bends and bruises it. My question is, do I just get a 'tighter' blade to remedy the issue, or do I need to buy a new trimmer? If so, what do I look for? Any ideas on make or model, blade length etc?

Many thanks!

My first move would be to check the edges of the moving blade-section is actually sharp enough, and then that it's free to move and isn't binding due to the retaining screws being over-tightened. That'll be a good starting-point :thumb:

I would second check the blades are sharp, but also check that there is not a gap as the pass over one another, they do not want to bind but must rub, as they work like a pair of scissors, saying that they should be sharpened on the outer edges like scissors, if someone has sharpened the inner edge, it will not cut as they pass.

As above check the blades are sharp and operating correctly. If you want to buy a new one and can afford it, I would recommend a Stihl model, a double sided version will make your life easier too.

Another thing to check is the condition of the motor brushes. Does the blade move back and forth rapidly? If not, it's possible the motor brushes are worn to the point of reducing the available motor power. They're a cheap and easily-replaceable part if they're at fault :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Carbon-Brushes-HR2455-UH4850-UH5540-UH5550-UH6350-UH6540-4350CT-4350T-55-/400589509992?hash=item5d44fed568:m:mO7ZUDKnOiN9WESh0Q215_A

I shouldn't think any decent trimmer should struggle with that hedge if it's working properly

Another thing to check is the condition of the motor brushes. Does the blade move back and forth rapidly? If not, it's possible the motor brushes are worn to the point of reducing the available motor power. They're a cheap and easily-replaceable part if they're at fault :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Carbon-Brushes-HR2455-UH4850-UH5540-UH5550-UH6350-UH6540-4350CT-4350T-55-/400589509992?hash=item5d44fed568:m:mO7ZUDKnOiN9WESh0Q215_A

I shouldn't think any decent trimmer should struggle with that hedge if it's working properly

Thank you for your reply. The blade moves rapidly, or so it seems. I suspect it is something else. I just do not know what...

My first move would be to check the edges of the moving blade-section is actually sharp enough, and then that it's free to move and isn't binding due to the retaining screws being over-tightened. That'll be a good starting-point :thumb:

Well spotted.

I had a look and the retaining screws were indeed way too tight. I loosened them a fair bit (now the screws are fixed to the locking nut on the other side but not to the blade, whereas earlier it was all held together very tight) and it started cutting a little bit. I think I need to spend a bit more time and look into it properly, as I am in a bit of a hurry now. It looks though as this might have been the problem. I will then check the sharpness of the blade. Should it not be sharp, I take it I can buy a replacement, right? Does it need to be a Makita, or any generic blade will do? How do I determine this? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Great news :thumb:

You might find it'll start to cut properly after a good oiling and a bit of use. Always good to get a cheap and easy fix. I'm pretty sure it'll be sharp enough, from what I can see in the photograph :)

I imagine they'll be pretty generic if you need to replace it. You'll more than likely be fine to just tidy the edges up with a hand file though, if indeed they even need that. They don't need a razor edge :thumb:

Thanks for your suggestion. If the blade proves to be blunt, can I replace it with any generic one, or do I need a specific one from Makita?

Good sound advice above.
You should not need to replace the blade. If the blade is moving rapidly (above), is it travelling sufficiently far to pass underneath the static piece ? If it isnt, blade is probably still too tight. Equally, there should be no gap between the oscillating blade and the static blade otherwise the blade will give the bush nothing more than a nasty suck. loosen the blades as mentioned, thoroughly lubricate, check the travel of the oscillating blade and adjust if necessary (google the specific tool and 'adjust blade travel'. If you can get at the cam without invalidating the guarantee, make sure the bearing is oiled and turning a full revolution.
If all that doesnt work buy some petrol and set fire to it !!!!!

Thanks for all your posts. I had some time this afternoon and took the thing apart. I decreased it, mildly sanded and sharpened the teeth, worked on the holding screws and re-lubricated it. Things got a bit better and it was cutting some branches. I got fed up with it so I popped down to Homebase and bought this. All I can say is wow! I finished the whole thing in ten minutes and then went looking for more hedges to cut. This thing is amazing...

Back