Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedge trimmer help!

Hedge trimmer help!

I was wondering if someone could help me please. I was recently given a Makita corded hedge trimmer, as my hedge (lonicera nitida ernest wilson) is mature enough for me to start using one. The only problem is that it does not cut any of the hedge, only bends some of the twigs. I suspect this has something to do with the blade, as I suspect the teeth might be too 'wide' apart (maybe more suitable to larger/thicker twigs) so instead of cutting the hedge it bends and bruises it. My question is, do I just get a 'tighter' blade to remedy the issue, or do I need to buy a new trimmer? If so, what do I look for? Any ideas on make or model, blade length etc?

Many thanks!
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

My first move would be to check the edges of the moving blade-section is actually sharp enough, and then that it's free to move and isn't binding due to the retaining screws being over-tightened. That'll be a good starting-point
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I would second check the blades are sharp, but also check that there is not a gap as the pass over one another, they do not want to bind but must rub, as they work like a pair of scissors, saying that they should be sharpened on the outer edges like scissors, if someone has sharpened the inner edge, it will not cut as they pass.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

As above check the blades are sharp and operating correctly. If you want to buy a new one and can afford it, I would recommend a Stihl model, a double sided version will make your life easier too.

Many thanks for the answers. Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Is it the trimmer? Is it me?

Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Another thing to check is the condition of the motor brushes. Does the blade move back and forth rapidly? If not, it's possible the motor brushes are worn to the point of reducing the available motor power. They're a cheap and easily-replaceable part if they're at fault

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Carbon-Brushes-HR2455-UH4850-UH5540-UH5550-UH6350-UH6540-4350CT-4350T-55-/400589509992?hash=item5d44fed568:m:mO7ZUDKnOiN9WES h0Q215_A

I shouldn't think any decent trimmer should struggle with that hedge if it's working properly
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Another thing to check is the condition of the motor brushes. Does the blade move back and forth rapidly? If not, it's possible the motor brushes are worn to the point of reducing the available motor power. They're a cheap and easily-replaceable part if they're at fault

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Carbon-Brushes-HR2455-UH4850-UH5540-UH5550-UH6350-UH6540-4350CT-4350T-55-/400589509992?hash=item5d44fed568:m:mO7ZUDKnOiN9WES h0Q215_A

I shouldn't think any decent trimmer should struggle with that hedge if it's working properly
    Thank you for your reply. The blade moves rapidly, or so it seems. I suspect it is something else. I just do not know what...

My first move would be to check the edges of the moving blade-section is actually sharp enough, and then that it's free to move and isn't binding due to the retaining screws being over-tightened. That'll be a good starting-point

Well spotted.

I had a look and the retaining screws were indeed way too tight. I loosened them a fair bit (now the screws are fixed to the locking nut on the other side but not to the blade, whereas earlier it was all held together very tight) and it started cutting a little bit. I think I need to spend a bit more time and look into it properly, as I am in a bit of a hurry now. It looks though as this might have been the problem. I will then check the sharpness of the blade. Should it not be sharp, I take it I can buy a replacement, right? Does it need to be a Makita, or any generic blade will do? How do I determine this? Thanks again!
    Last edited by Psyxologos; 21-06-2016 at 13:23.

Great news

You might find it'll start to cut properly after a good oiling and a bit of use. Always good to get a cheap and easy fix. I'm pretty sure it'll be sharp enough, from what I can see in the photograph

Great news

Hopefully a good oiling and a bit of use will free it off properly. Always good to get a cheap and easy fix
    Thanks for your suggestion. If the blade proves to be blunt, can I replace it with any generic one, or do I need a specific one from Makita?