Thread: 7x57 load

7x57 load

Well finally got around to working up a load for my 7x57.
    Factory Hornady 139gr SST were OK and did this....,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	71343

N150 under a Speer 145gr SP did this....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	71344

This was 100m off a bipod, glasses on under a midge hood whilst being attacked by billions of the wee Devils. Take the bullet diameter off and that's a 0.4" group.

Just shows you that beginners can develop a decent load. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not black magic either.

And more to the point, there is very little that all these new fangled cartridges can teach my old girl.

Jim

PS took my first deer with this loading last night ��
    Last edited by JockStalk; 21-06-2016 at 14:32.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Great shooting with a great old cartridge . There isn't much you can't do with the 7X57 . What make is your rifle ?

AB

AB - its a Varberger, though I think more common in US as a Lakelander?

Very little meat damage from the round. Whats not to like?

Just to be sure.

Its not strictly one hole so its useless for anything - especially stalking. You could try mounting a 25-5 million x 120mm illuminated reticule ranging tea making tacticool scope in tacticoool SAS desert cammo on a 40 MOA rail ( and stick on Garfield ) and it MAY come good. But really you need to scrap it and buy a ( insert any brand over at least 5,000 with at least 6 different aluminium alloys in it and featured ad nauseum in any Blaze Publication ).

Also Speer is old - therefore no good ( just look at Bogtrotter ) . You NEED a copper homogenised ballistic tip round with 30% of sale proceeds going to the save the ring necked lemming fund ( well the 200K salary of its Chairman in any event ).

Stop messing about

Anyway - is it the new combo or the fact that Mrs JS is away so you're back on the Gin and much steadier in any case?

Always happy to be of help....

PS - the brushcutter's in the barn fuelled and ready to go for next time That'll make my garden look better and put the midges off a bit.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Its not strictly one hole so its useless for anything - especially stalking. You could try mounting a 25-5 million x 120mm illuminated reticule ranging tea making tacticool scope in tacticoool SAS desert cammo on a 40 MOA rail ( and stick on Garfield ) and it MAY come good. But really you need to scrap it and buy a ( insert any brand over at least 5,000 with at least 6 different aluminium alloys in it and featured ad nauseum in any Blaze Publication ).

Also Speer is old - therefore no good ( just look at Bogtrotter ) . You NEED a copper homogenised ballistic tip round with 30% of sale proceeds going to the save the ring necked lemming fund ( well the 200K salary of its Chairman in any event ).

Stop messing about

Anyway - is it the new combo or the fact that Mrs JS is away so you're back on the Gin and much steadier in any case?

PS - the brushcutter's in the barn fuelled and ready to go for next time That'll make my garden look better and put the midges off a bit.
    So what is it, you are actually saying ?

Quote Originally Posted by bullet chucker View Post
    So what is it, you are actually saying ?
    I think he nailed it with the Gin. Hand is much steadier now. When Mrs JS is around she makes me dilute it with 'tonic'. Can't stand soft drinks.

Just to be sure.

Wot he said
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    AB - its a Varberger, though I think more common in US as a Lakelander?

Very little meat damage from the round. Whats not to like?
    Nice rifle . They aren't common out here , but you do see the odd one . An old shooting buddy has one in 6.5X55 , another classic cartridge , it's a very accurate rig and has accounted for a lot of game , up to and including quite a few Moose .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post

Stop messing about

He he