Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 zero

.270 zero

Evening all . I have recently bought an old bsa .270 for Scotland . I wanted a flat shooting rifle as when we were up there in January we were shooting at 200 yards plus .
    I have finally got round to zeroing it today . It shot great with Norma and ppu in 130 grain .
    However with cold barrel at 100 yards and 200 yards it shot low by 2 inches and 4 inches respectably at those distances . But the next two shots through a warm barrel were spot on !
    So as we are shooting hinds and multiple shots will be taken where do I set the zero and is this normal .
    The barrel and moderator after three shots got very warm !!! I haven't, had a .270 before .
    Thanks
    tom

Rule if thumb 1" high @ 100 point and squirt out to 225yards

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

If you're shooting at >200yds, you'll want accuracy as well as a flat trajectory.

Given the circumstances you describe, I think I'd put the elevation up three minutes and, taking particular care to maintain a consistent hold and thereby to avoid bipod-related elevation changes, shoot three (or, better, five) shots at 200yds and see what happens.

My hill-rifle is a .270 zeroed at 200yds, which gives +1.75" or so at 100yds.

The accuracy is good apart from these cold shots. I can get a good group at 200 yards with the warm barrel ,
    the problem seems to be the cold shot ?
    I am obviously going to do it again but we definitely could see a pattern with the 1st cold shot shooting low .
    Is it normal to get so hot ???

I'd guess if you're on a commercial estate, you'd probably shoot hind, then calf, so two shots in reasonably close succession. Then the rifle cools again & if your estate deems appropriate, it may be you'd take another hind & calf later in the day.
    So, I don't see the barrel getting too hot, therefore 'warm barrel shooting' isn't going to occur.
    I'd zero cold.
    1 1/2" high @ 100
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Try 1" high @100yds with cold barrel,why warm barrel usually only get one chance on live quarry.

Zero it 2 inches high at 100 yards from a cold barrel if your expected range for deer is 200 or more.

Shoot it stone cold, one shot, then not another for at least an hour, same target, to see what 5 shot group you get. If you can, set up a target, like a painted board with a dot, where you can stop and shoot it every day on the way to work or something like that, one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Evening all . I have recently bought an old bsa .270 for Scotland . I wanted a flat shooting rifle as when we were up there in January we were shooting at 200 yards plus .
    I have finally got round to zeroing it today . It shot great with Norma and ppu in 130 grain .
    However with cold barrel at 100 yards and 200 yards it shot low by 2 inches and 4 inches respectably at those distances . But the next two shots through a warm barrel were spot on !
    So as we are shooting hinds and multiple shots will be taken where do I set the zero and is this normal .
    The barrel and moderator after three shots got very warm !!! I haven't, had a .270 before .
    Thanks
    tom
    tom. Buy a better rifle that sends the first, second and subsequent shots to the same POI is my recommendation - see my Gallery. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The accuracy is good apart from these cold shots. I can get a good group at 200 yards with the warm barrel ,
    the problem seems to be the cold shot ?
    I am obviously going to do it again but we definitely could see a pattern with the 1st cold shot shooting low .
    Is it normal to get so hot ???
    My old Parker Hale gets very hot but it shoots the first 2 shots within half inch of one another, the third shot is always 3 inches away. I don't have a problem with this as shots 1 and 2 are very accurate, my mate just shot a warthog at 250 yrds in Africa , aimed straight at it.
    Tusker

A lot of rifles as they heat up do put the bullets a little high. In stalking conditions it is your first shot from a cold barrel that counts, and that wants to go 1" high at 100. Because I don't shoot a lot and clean my rifles after shooting I like my zero to be from a clean barrel as well. Let barrel cool between shots, and in the summer this can be several minutes.

When hind stalking in Scottish winter, get close, make first shot count and for the 2nd the third way up the body aim will still be a killing shot. Just take your time - there is always more time than you think.