Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Copper Bullets on NRA ranges

Solid Copper Bullets on NRA ranges

Hello to all that read this and thanks in advance to taking the time to do so.

I have in the passed, and would like in the future to shoot solid copper bullets. Previously these were Barnes TTSX 130gr from my 30-06. This has been replaced with a 308 and 300WSM. To date I have predominantly either been developing a load, zeroing or shooting lawful game with the 30-06. Since owning the 308 and 300WSM I have used factory ammunition. I would however like to increase the amount of shooting I do at targets to remain familiar with my rifles during periods of the year when I shoot them less, load copper bullets and not have adjust the scope for two separate loads for each caliber. However I find that the ranges I am aware of do not permit solid copper bullets.

Does any one know if I am missing a point in the NRA rule book, or of any ranges around the West Berkshire area that permit the shooting of solid copper expanding ammunition.

Kind regards

I seem to remember someone knowledgeable about target shooting and range rules (Laurie?) saying that the solid copper bullet ban was to do with the non expanding target bullets rather than expanding like TTSX and GMX...I may well be wrong. May be worth checking direct with the ranges you wish to shoot at. Horses mouth and all that...

Alan

Monolithic bullets are not permitted on MOD ranges due to the increased ricochet risk.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Monolithic bullets are not permitted on MOD ranges due to the increased ricochet risk.
    MS
    Is that absolute?

Does it definitely include the expanding variety as well?

Presumably monolithic lead bullets are exempt?

Alan

Attached are the range regulations at Bisley, section 2.b covers this topic specifically.

In case of upload error (most likely my fault!) this section states;

Unless the CE has given prior permission in writing, use of the following on Bisley ranges isprohibited:i Tracer; incendiary; armour piercing; armour piercing incendiary (API); depleted uranium;ammunition containing any igniferous or explosive substance.ii Projectiles of any construction other than lead core with gilding metal or soft iron jacket,including specifically mono-metallic bullets (ie made from a single metal); except solid leadbullets.

There are also ME/MV restrictions as well in the same document.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	range_regulations.pdf 
Views:	19 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	71352

But if such bullets are deemed ( sic! ) dangerous ( sic!! ) on a purpose built range - what on earth are the implications for sporting use out and about in the county side?

Probably much the same as already discovered in Germany and Norway - where mandatory sporting use was rescinded?

Sorry - a, for hijack and b. rant
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

MS

Quite right - the ricochets may well escape the range danger area

Thanks for your response to my question. The reasoning I received for copper bullets not being acceptable was that of ricochet escaping the range zone as stated above. There didn't appear to be any accept ions to this rule in this instance.

It it is a far a valid point with regards their use in the field if there is concern at ranges.

I feel I may have to dual load or just accept the facts.

Many thanks for comments so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC View Post
    Thanks for your response to my question. The reasoning I received for copper bullets not being acceptable was that of ricochet escaping the range zone as stated above. There didn't appear to be any accept ions to this rule in this instance.

It it is a far a valid point with regards their use in the field if there is concern at ranges.

I feel I may have to dual load or just accept the facts.

Many thanks for comments so far.
    You don't give a reason for wanting to use copper, but I assume you may wish to go 'lead-free'?
    If that is the case, then I have a solution for your .308 at least. Geco zero rounds are made the same as a copper jacketed lead round, but use tin instead of lead so are 'lead free'.
    They are made of tin and copper, so they are not monolithic and can therefore be used on MOD ranges. I hope this helps.
    MS

You don't give a reason for wanting to use copper, but I assume you may wish to go 'lead-free'?
    If that is the case, then I have a solution for your .308 at least. Geco zero rounds are made the same as a copper jacketed lead round, but use tin instead of lead so are 'lead free'.
    They are made of tin and copper, so they are not monolithic and can therefore be used on MOD ranges. I hope this helps.
    MS
    Brenneke do a tin cored partition bullet with a steel jacket. I have just acquired some to try.

Alan