Thread: 1 For 1 For Dummies

1 For 1 For Dummies

Guys,

I'm looking to replace my foxing rifle with one in the same calibre (22.250), I've looked on the Dorset Firearms website and reckon I need to fill out a Form 201v but just wondered if anyone could give me a heads up of the process.

I take it that send off the form in and at some point (way way in the future) I'll be sent a new cert with a slot for a new rifle on it. I'm not sure what happens regarding the rifle I have though. Do I need to sell it before they'll issue a new cert or hand it in as I collect the new rifle from an RFD? Or is there a period of grace to allow me to dispose of the old once I've got the new?

Sorry for the bone questions but I've not been through the process before.

Cheers,

Jim

I've just done this.

1) dispose of firearm.
    2) submit FAC with variation for one for one replacement, plus any mod (check current ammo allowances ok...)
    3) receive FAC back with open slot(s)
    4) acquire new firearm.

Mine took 24 hours.

Jim
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

I note that Dorset, on their website, are quoting a FAC renewal is taking 84 days. They make no mention of variation waiting times.

So that you are not left without a rifle for anything up to 3 months I would suggest you do what I always do. Submit your variation together with a request that, when they process your variation, your existing rifle is put on a S7 temporary permit. This will allow you to continue to use your rifle until the variation comes through and will then allow you to hold the rifle until you sell it.

Cheers Charlie,

That sounds like what I need to do, when I put in for a new calibre last year it took the best part of 6 months. I was trying to work out how to get the variation without being left without a foxing rifle for an age.

Jim

If you are in possession of your current foxing rifle when you ask for another you will be asking for an additional rifle and as such will have to pay, you will also have to justify the additional rifle, your licensing office may well say that you alreadydy have a 22-250 for foxing and may not grant another until you dispose of your current rifle

Ian.

Best way is to pay for new slot, add note that when new rifle is deemed fit for purpose (genuine reason for new slot) Then you will sell old one. Never had one turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    If you are in possession of your current foxing rifle when you ask for another you will be asking for an additional rifle and as such will have to pay, you will also have to justify the additional rifle, your licensing office may well say that you alreadydy have a 22-250 for foxing and may not grant another until you dispose of your current rifle

Ian.
    Not if you do it the way I describe above.

Having just done the same process under Dorset starting in the middle of March, from start to finish it only took 5 weeks including adding additional slots, the process I have followed when varying for a 1-1 has been to send variation paperwork in before disposal, explain that I will part exchange old 22-250 for new 22-250 then they issued the varied cert with old rifle still on with slot for new.

Run the same process last year where I part-ex'd a 17cal for a 243 as a 1-1 no charge, again explained what I intended to do and they hand no problems with that.

Just remember to actually dispose of the rifle before renewal if you acquire otherwise they may not be too happy that you potentially lied to/cheated them.

Atb, Samuel