Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Riflesmith Southern England

  1. #1

    Riflesmith Southern England

    With simple 1-4-1 variations taking up to 5 months I am looking for recommendations for a riflesmith to convert 2 Left Handed Remington 700 SPS heavy barreled varmint rifles to sporters.

    One is .308 the other .223.

    I reckon it will mean re profile barrel and reproof plus replacement stocks, they are both already fitted with Huber Roller Triggers.

    I know cost wise it would probably be less expensive to buy 2 new rifles but I do not want to wait 5 months for the variation.
    Last edited by Ferryman; 22-06-2016 at 19:44.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    I know cost wise it would probably be less expensive to buy 2 new rifles but I do not want to wait 5 months for the variation.
    It may take longer than 5 months to get a 'smith to do the work for you........

  3. #3
    I know they are well booked up, but my thinking is to book them in and when the smith is ready to do the work he can have the rifles.
    In the mean time I still have the use of my rifles.

  4. #4
    Trouble is you're not going to be far off a re barrel cost after the work is done. You also run the risk of affecting stress relieving of the barrel and or possible bending the barrel during the process.

    Also, the material being removed will then need to be accounted for with the swamp of barrel at the chamber end on the barrel OD.

    Just a thought.
    Last edited by Jager SA; 23-06-2016 at 06:53.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    I know they are well booked up, but my thinking is to book them in and when the smith is ready to do the work he can have the rifles.
    In the mean time I still have the use of my rifles.
    So why not put in for a second 308 and a second 223 you will still have use of your rifles

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    It may take longer than 5 months to get a 'smith to do the work for you........
    Well one of my rifles was handed to a smith to rebarrel at the November Newark ''kelso'' stalkers fair and I got it back after a lot of phone calls and badgering the following June !!!
    The next one I had done was handed to a smith and received back 14 days later completed !!!
    So much variation in smiths
    Regards
    Jimmy.
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

    BUY BRITISH !!!!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Well one of my rifles was handed to a smith to rebarrel at the November Newark ''kelso'' stalkers fair and I got it back after a lot of phone calls and badgering the following June !!!
    The next one I had done was handed to a smith and received back 14 days later completed !!!
    So much variation in smiths
    Regards
    Jimmy.
    Not that I want to hijack the original post but yes there are a lot of variations Jimmy I'm sure.


    Many Gun plumbers work part time and have another job, some have staff to answer phones, emails and pick up odd jobs to lend a hand.
    Some work from garages and garden sheds with zero overheads, no business rates etc. And some can turn work around at the drop of a hat because they don't have much on so a two week turn around is achievable.

    On the weekend you dropped off your Tikka, I had 9 rebarrels to take back. That's without any other work I get from coating, trade threading work and everything I offer.

    This is the reality I'm afraid but onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by Jager SA; 23-06-2016 at 08:12.

  8. #8
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Not that I want to hijack the original post but yes there are a lot of variations Jimmy I'm sure.


    Many Gun plumbers work part time and have another job, some have staff to answer phones, emails and pick up odd jobs to lend a hand.
    Some work from garages and garden sheds with zero overheads, no business rates etc. And some can turn work around at the drop of a hat because they don't have much on so a two week turn around is achievable.

    On the weekend you dropped off your Tikka, I had 9 rebarrels to take back. That's without any other work I get from coating, trade threading work and everything I offer.

    This is the reality I'm afraid but onwards and upwards.
    Touchy.....

    Anyway to answer the OP thread - I recommend you start with Neil McKillop in Basingstoke (or thereabouts)
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  9. #9
    Mik at Dolphin rifles. His work is outstanding and turns it around quickly. Just send them off with your local rfd.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    It may take longer than 5 months to get a 'smith to do the work for you........
    No it won't - Neil McKillop and Steve Kershaw are both capable of giving a deadline and sticking to it. Neither suffer fools gladly though, especially Neil!
    Steve generally turns things round in 6 weeks or less, though it depends on availability of parts, and he doesn't take on more work than he can handle so he might not accept the job.
    Neil will probably tell you to show up on a certain day, be absolutely certain what you want, and be prepared to wait all day if he agrees to let you wait whilst he does it - obviously depends on what needs doing though.
    Both are superb rifle smiths. I've personally used Steve dozens of time when I worked in the trade, and two of my close friends have used Neil for approx. 12 rifle builds & re-barrels.

Similar Threads

  1. Ticks in Southern England ??
    By NeilG in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-01-2012, 20:38
  2. Wanted Stalking syndicate - southern England / devon
    By Remat in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 15:41
  3. Deer Poaching Southern England
    By Allman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 18:51
  4. Looking for a paid stalk in southern England on 7/12
    By Gully in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 13:07
  5. reds/boar-southern england
    By latcheye in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 05:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •