Thread: Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25X50 RZ800

Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25X50 RZ800

Another scope question.
    I've seen these for sale at less than 700 new. Which seems really good value.
    I'm looking for something to go on a .243 to shoot out at 400-500yards daytime use.
    Has anyone got one of these and if so what is your honest opinion please?
    Compared to S&B and Nightforce they seem a really good buy, not that I wouldn't buy one of the others if I had the money!

Look forward to your views and opinions.

Thanks
    Mark

Ive got a Conquest 5-25 not with the RZ reticule but plex with dial able turrets very pleased with it. It has good low light qualities the mag ring is a little tight.

Conquest probably superior to Nightforce. A good friend swears by NF, but his eyes are almost 20 years younger. In bad light I would always favour a European brand.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I love Zeiss scopes I have 4 here, and I always wanted a 5/25x50 plex for my br, I would not put a NF on an air gun never mind a centre fire rifle,

just be careful what ret you choose some are designed for spacific calibres,

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Bob Is absolutely correct. About the reticle. The reticle that you mentioned , Is for higher powered rifles.
    But I have rz 800 reticle on my ten Bob. 270 .And it works very well.

I have an earlier model 6-20 x 50 Conquest and it is lovely to use. The field of veiw is excellent as is it's clarity. I'd use a 5-25 HD on a .243 regardless of the reticle. A Z800 with the Zeeiss guide on line will give you a magnification that more or less corresponds to your load's trajectory. It does work, I've tried it with the .223 out to 300m and it comes in pretty close.
    I've got the Z600 on my .223 and it is overkill but one day it may end up on a long range rifle.
    Last edited by hybridfiat; 24-06-2016 at 03:39.

Many thanks for all of your replies.
    Bob and Penta your right about the reticle designed for bigger calibre's but as Hybridfiat says it will give me a guide.
    With some practise and I'm sure some error on the way I think I could make it work ok for me.
    The main thing is that it seems the scope is of an excellent quality and worth buying, so a little more saving and then I'll get one bought.
    Thank you all very much again.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastrac10 View Post
    Many thanks for all of your replies.
    Bob and Penta your right about the reticle designed for bigger calibre's but as Hybridfiat says it will give me a guide.
    With some practise and I'm sure some error on the way I think I could make it work ok for me.
    The main thing is that it seems the scope is of an excellent quality and worth buying, so a little more saving and then I'll get one bought.
    Thank you all very much again.
    nice one bud,

i wish tou well, I will get one at some point as I am trying to keep the br and would like to try it with the 5/25x50 on top.

good luck

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I think the Varmint reticle may be a better choice for a .243. They also do a Rapid Z 600 reticle,which again would be more suitable than the 800.

If the Z800 is cheaper buy it!
    I dont know if this is any help; the graduations on the top and side bars of the Z reticles are same distance apart and my Z600 is exactly 1 Mil Rad at 12x. This means at 12x if I know the approximate average dimensions of my prey I can get a good idea of it's range. I use it when setting up targets on the farm too.
    I measured out exactly 100m and placed a cross
    100mm x 100mm, then used the zoom to bracket the cross exactly between 2 grads both horizontal and vertical. This told me that at 12x they are 1 mil radian apart.
    You might want to try or not. It involves knowing the average measurements of your prey. A deers', foxes' head from nose to the back of it's skull or the average length of a bunny.
    Here's an example I did for a freind who hunts roos with a Conquest I got him.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wild_kangaroos.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	71498
    Note the partial grads top and side, they are half Mil Rad. The bottom scale is the BDC and each lengthens distally. That BDC will also only work at 1 zoom level and is different for each and every load and calibre.
    Zeiss have most of it sorted so whether you use Factory or 'hand rolled' you can get pretty close. My BDC works best at 13.5x with the handloads I use. It's fun just checking it out too.
    2nd focal scopes like the Conquests are in my mind better for hunting and target shooting, some will disagree but there you go we are all different.

1st Focal scopes are useful in combat as the Mil Rads remain the same regardless of zoom setting. However the crosshairs and mil dots also get larger in proportion to the target and sometimes obscure stuff.
    With the advent of hand held and built in rangers with built in ballistics calculators such as the Hensoldts; Mil Rads are becoming a backup for ranging and used more for hold over and windage. Sure as hell beats memorising the size of every Besser block, wheel rim, and brick in a country.
    Last edited by hybridfiat; 26-06-2016 at 03:36.