Thread: How long to get rid of this thing through the EU?

How long to get rid of this thing through the EU?

Our High Court has had it's knackers bricked... vote out!abu hamsa picture
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Our High Court has had it's knackers bricked... vote out!abu hamsa picture

So this will be the European Court of Human Rights which has nothing to do with the European Union. The same ECHR set up in Strasbourg by the UK and 46 other Nations of the Council of Europe in 1959. Our then PM Winston Churchill was instrumental in this.

Please explain how leaving the EU is going to change this? We are not getting out of the Council of Europe.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    So this will be the European Court of Human Rights which has nothing to do with the European Union. The same ECHR set up in Strasbourg by the UK and 46 other Nations of the Council of Europe in 1959. Our then PM Winston Churchill was instrumental in this.

Please explain how leaving the EU is going to change this? We are not getting out of the Council of Europe.

Stan
    I thought Churchill retired as PM in 55?

Completely separate. We will still be subject to the ECHR now we have voted out. Highly unlikely this will change. Lack of understanding of the fundamentals has caused us to vote leave. This thread being a prime example.

What is it that I need to understand, other than not wanting other nationals making decisions for me?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    What is it that I need to understand, other than not wanting other nationals making decisions for me?

This beggars belief.

You’re saying that decades of jurisprudence and case law is undemocratic as the Court is based in Strasbourg, and the judges aren’t all British?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    This beggars belief.

You’re saying that decades of jurisprudence and case law is undemocratic as the Court is based in Strasbourg, and the judges aren’t all British?

Would you say that if they were North Korean, or some such? I have never voted to hand any powers of any sort to anyone outside this country.