Thread: Buck still in velvet

Account Suspended

Buck still in velvet

Just got back from Dumfries on one of our patches where I was there for 3 days plenty of does around but few bucks, Shot one cull buck still in velvet which was quite surprising for this time of year one thing I noticed when doing the gralloch the lung tissue was very pale and not the usual pink , there wasnt any abnormalites so its maturing in my fridge awaiting further attention.

Stu,
    A guest of mine shot a cull buck on Friday evening that was still in velvet. It had single beams and a really light body weight (8kg clean).
    Internal organs and glands were fine, just a small animal from last year I guess. Maybe it lost its mother early on and just has not done as well as others.

[QUOTE=Mannlicher_Stu;109274]Just got back from Dumfries on one of our patches where I was there for 3 days plenty of does around but few bucks,QUOTE]

I thought I recognised you, I passed you when you were parked up at about 16.30 on Sunday the 13th, you are right, the does were feeding hard.

Anything still in velvet in the month of June is best added to the cull figures!

Cheers,
    Mark.