Sturgeon again!

I have no problem with a referendum to break up the UK on the proviso that all of us in the UK get to vote as it affects everyone, I for one own land and forestry in Scotland which was bought on the presumption that the status quo would be the same as it has been for centuries. Breaking up a country is a far cry from exiting a club (the EU) and the consequences are far more reaching for the country.

Last edited:
Amazing.

Britain was a full and active member of the EU, sought some relatively minor changes to create reform and keep its population happy and was refused.

Scotland is a full and active member of the UK, has way more than proportionate representation in Westminster, is the most fully devolved parliament on the planet, reaps the benefits from the Barnett formula and has the buffer of the UK reserves.

I mean, you can definitely see why this issue of EU membership rather than renegotiated deal with EU is such a big deal for her when Scotland has been so badly treated by the rest of the UK.

I cant understand why shes making noise about a Scottish referendum right now anyway.

This is always the worst part of change - You've ripped down what you had and you havent built whatever it is you're going to end up with. Surely it would be better for us and the Scots if they wait to see what the shape of the new relationship is before they decide whether they want it or not?

I cant understand why shes making noise about a Scottish referendum right now anyway.

This is always the worst part of change - You've ripped down what you had and you havent built whatever it is you're going to end up with. Surely it would be better for us and the Scots if they wait to see what the shape of the new relationship is before they decide whether they want it or not?

Spot on:D the new relationship could in theory benefit Scotland far more than the current EU membership (perceived) benefits, but rather than wait for it to be resolved and see what our position will be she would rather make political gain in the short term.

I'd imagine she's trying to get in to EU without actually coming out possibly making it easier and potentially not a new member so would not have to take the Euro.
I may be wrong but that was the way it came across reading between the lines

in a word......Opportunist!!

It's what SHE wants that is the salient fact on this.

There is an inconvenient flaw in this (logic?). A second referendum is an option, not a certainty.

How else could the Scottish goverment react to such a democratic vote in their country? Look at the facts and figures ....

Scotland voted decisively in favour of remaining in the EU but the UK voted to leave.

There were 2,679,513 votes cast (not including rejected ballots) in Scotland.

There were 1,661,191 for Remain, exactly 62% of the votes cast, compared with a 52% vote in favour of Leave across the UK.

There were only a million votes for Leave in Scotland (1,018,332).

Every Scottish local authority area voted in favour of Remain.

To be honest wot do u expect?

She is the leader of the Scottish NATIONAL Party, the clue is in the title.
If u stand back and look at the argument she doesnae really have a choice, that wot her party stands for independance for scotland. If she didnae take the chance now she would not be doing her job.

Not saying i agree with it but can see where she's coming from.
Hate her politics/party but must admit i quite admire her and salmond, they are very clever operators. Her press confrence was far better preseted than bojo's even having the euro flag and sltire hanging beside each other and no union jack in sight

Wether the 1.6 million outwieghs the 2 mill who voted No less than 2 years ago is another story.
Althou to be fair 1 of No's main promises was the only way to guarantee staying in the EU was to vote No, which as has been proved not the case.
Wether thast would change the result, i have no idea

If the boot were on the other foot as it were and Scotland's remain vote had tipped an English and Welsh vote from leave to remain - would the leaves have been given the opportunity of another vote on this premise?

I think not, nor do I think that goalposts should be allowed to be moved now either.

There is an inconvenient flaw in this (logic?). A second referendum is an option, not a certainty.

How else could the Scottish goverment react to such a democratic vote in their country? Look at the facts and figures ....

Scotland voted decisively in favour of remaining in the EU but the UK voted to leave.

There were 2,679,513 votes cast (not including rejected ballots) in Scotland.

There were 1,661,191 for Remain, exactly 62% of the votes cast, compared with a 52% vote in favour of Leave across the UK.

There were only a million votes for Leave in Scotland (1,018,332).

Every Scottish local authority area voted in favour of Remain.

She wants to be Queen.;)

I think Scotland should have a referendum. If they wish to be independent they should go that way and negotiate as a separate entity and be responsible for the results.

David.

she may not have a choice politically,

but Surely Scotland's people who do not like being governed by Westminster, do not want the to let some euro muppet make their rules up and run their country from a desk in Euro Disney.

crack on the fishy folk, sturgeon and Salmond that is, but if it all falls flat on it s Rs for Scotland, maybe they will bring back hung drawn and quartered as a punishment.

bob

The vote was a UK wide yes/no, not separated by region. All that should matter is that the Leave camp won.

Had those 1m Scots that voted to leave voted the other way then we'd be discussing what a waste of time and money the referendum was...
But they didn't, and the UK as a whole voted leave. Baby fish should accept the result and move on.

Should the next, if there is to be one, Scottish National referendum not be a question for the whole of the UK and not just for Scotland?

Back