Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first rifle.

first rifle.

hi folks,

Would like some advice,

Would it be better to buy a 223 and a 243 individual rifle or better to get one with interchangable barrels.
    like a blaser or a sauer perhaps.

just looking for advice as off to buy first rifle.

thanks in advance for any help.

rick

Depends on what you want to spend and what value you put on a top class German rifle. Buying new, a basic Blaser Professional with two barrels, two scope mounts etc will cost over 3K, you might do the Sauer for a bit less, but not much.

You can buy two perfectly serviceable rifles (Howa for eg) for 600 or so each. Warne scope mounts will be under 100 per set.

If you can afford it, I would go for the Blaser option, but not if it causes hardship elsewhere.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

why .223 and .243,why not just go for the .243? what will they be used for??

If your doing deer and fox then I would look at maybe gwan .223 and something bigger (.308, .270, 6.5x55, 7x64 etc.) for the deer.

But the .243 is one hell of a fox round

Sam
    Buy a good scope(s) before you spend all your money on a new rifle though
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Buy a good scope(s) before you spend all your money on a new rifle though
    Would agree with that 100%. I would rather have a good basic rifle with a Swarovski scope, than a Blaser with a Bushnell up top....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

From my point of view it depends what you are planning on shooting as has been mentioned above.

If it is Deer of Roe size and Fox then imho 243 is the perfect combination, and what I have. You may have to have a bit of a bun fight with your FEO re 243 for fox as I did but it is a perfect fox buster and saves having to buy 2 seperate setups.

Rick, A .243 will do the job of both. 85-100 grain for deer (around 2900-3000fps) and 55 or 60 grian for fox (around 3400fps). If a fox happens by when you are stalking the 100 grainers will kill it just as dead as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Rick, A .243 will do the job of both. 85-100 grain for deer (around 2900-3000fps) and 55 or 60 grian for fox (around 3400fps). If a fox happens by when you are stalking the 100 grainers will kill it just as dead as anything else.
    Agreed, I use 85 Gr Interbonds for Roe and 58 Gr VMax for Fox

222 for roe and 243 for red?
    or just 243 for an all round rifle.

Again depends where you are. In England minium calibre is .240 for all deer other than Munty and CWD which is .220 with minimum 1000fp, in Scotland if memory serves its based on grain, no less than 100gr with a muzzle velocity of not less than 2450 ft/sec and a muzzle energy of not less than 1750 ft lbs for deer generally and no less than 50 gr with a muzzle velocity of not less than 2450 ft/sec and a muzzle energy of not less than 1000 ft lbs for Roe. Dont take my word for this, be sure for yourself.

I would suggest that most people would not like to shoot Red with less than a .308 but its a personal opionion thing in the end.

All i shoot are Roe and Fox so for me .243 is spot on. If you are going to shoot a wide variety then its right tool for right job time.

ATB

Pat
    Last edited by WiltsPat; 16-06-2010 at 13:35. Reason: edited for more precise detail