Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 CTR

Tikka T3 CTR

Is there anyone in stalking land using the Tikka T3 compact tacticle rifle as an everyday stalking rifle, what are they like to lug around compared to a standard sporter weight rifle ?

Im using a TRG, which is heavier. Its a pain in the arse, but doable

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Same weight as a Mauser mo3 sporter. ~3.4-3.5kg. The T3 lite would be more user friendly for traditional stalking where shots might not be much further than 200m. I just got myself a 308 t3x CTR stainless which I fitted to a tactical style carbon stock. This will be my long range deer rifle for the next season. We shot it out to a little over 800yds this afternoon and she performed very well. Deer are mostly shot under 400m.
    I think the CTR is a fantastic rifle and extremely accurate.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Same weight as a Mauser mo3 sporter. ~3.4-3.5kg. The T3 lite would be more user friendly for traditional stalking where shots might not be much further than 200m. I just got myself a 308 t3x CTR stainless which I fitted to a tactical style carbon stock. This will be my long range deer rifle for the next season. We shot it out to a little over 800yds this afternoon and she performed very well. Deer are mostly shot under 400m.
    I think the CTR is a fantastic rifle and extremely accurate.
    edi
    Edi
    Has the CTR got the same profile of barrel as the varmint model or is it lighter ?

Quote Originally Posted by palo View Post
    Edi
    Has the CTR got the same profile of barrel as the varmint model or is it lighter ?
    By what I've read its a medium weight barrel

Palo, I do not know. I have two T3 lite and one custom barrelled T3 but no varmint barrelled T3 to compare.
    I can measure the barrel at the muzzle later if that helps.
    My guess is that they are the same as varmint or not far off. My other T3 has a 22" shortened F/TR barrel on it and weighs roughly the same as the 20" CTR.
    The new T3x CTR plastic stock weighs 840 grams in case someone is interested.
    edi

I have a T3 Varmint in .308 and it is a PITA for long distance/hilly work but I've managed ok with it. Would be fine for high chair work. On the plus side, it absorbs recoil well and is very accurate. My advice if going that or the Varmint or CTR route is to keep weight down using lightweight mods and lightweight scopes. A fixed 6 x 42 in 25mm tube and DTM mod will save a shed load of weight over tacticool scopes. I use Delta Titanium HD on mine and an ASE SL5 Mod which I've found to be a good compromise. Haven't weighed the all up weight but it's probably a few pounds heavier than the same set up in sporter profile. The other consideration is mag length. The 5 round mag is a pain when used with the sling. I'm tempted to buya 3 shot flush fitting mag which would make it more comfortable for stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Palo, I do not know. I have two T3 lite and one custom barrelled T3 but no varmint barrelled T3 to compare.
    I can measure the barrel at the muzzle later if that helps.
    My guess is that they are the same as varmint or not far off. My other T3 has a 22" shortened F/TR barrel on it and weighs roughly the same as the 20" CTR.
    The new T3x CTR plastic stock weighs 840 grams in case someone is interested.
    edi
    Would you say the stock on the t3x is more rigid than the older t3 stock ?

I've got one. It's not too heavy at all in my opinion, it weighs a bit more than my Krico stutzen obviously, but it's by no means excessive.

I do, in 260. Very accurate and handy for stalking. I have a TRG so I have a few spare magazines. I have replaced the plastic bolt shroud with a vertebre option. It is really a tactical rifle but seems to do the job quite well. It can also hit the 5 ring on fig 14s at. 500 metres!