Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermy question

Taxidermy question

Guys

I'm just curious but what would you expect to pay for a shoulder mounted Roe buck?

Cheers

My last shoulder mount was a CWD and done (very nicely) by Claire Fowler of Freedom Taxidermy and it cost 250. A roe might be a bit more?? One good point is that she usually has a few capes in the freezer if your is wrecked!

PHJLA

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Guys

I'm just curious but what would you expect to pay for a shoulder mounted Roe buck?

Cheers
    MJ

I have a roe buck in at the taxidermist at the moment, hopefully ready in a week or so. The cost is 360. I had a few quotes and I could have got it done at closer to the 300 mark if I'd gone somewhere else.

To me, more important than (or at least as important as) the price is finding a taxidermist who has an affinity with the animal you want stuffed. Whatever you're paying, you don't want to be looking at the end result and thinking "that doesn't look like the beast I shot", or worse "that doesn't look like a roe", so try to get to see the taxidermist's work beforehand if you can.

I saw Claire Fowler's work at the West Country Game Fair and she's good. I've also had work done before by Dave Hornbrook, who I'd rate very highly. The latter, in particular, has a real knack of capturing roe (and no, he's not doing my current roe, as I wanted someone closer to home).

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Another vote for Dave Hornbrooks roe. Very good taxidermist and straightforward to deal with. JC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roe Head.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	1453

Hi, Not the best of pics but taken by a mobile!

This is my Roe head I had done last year by David Hollingworth of penninetaxidermy.com

Cost me 250 at the time but I have a Sika Stag coming tomorrow that cost me 330.

He does fantastic work and a lovely chap as well.

I'm based down in hampshire and he collected the head from a mate of mine up in Kendal when passing.

His site has just gone live and is not on search engine's yet.. But you can still view from above url.

Robbo25

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Robbo

That's a nice unusual head, and nicely mounted. You must be very pleased with it.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi Willie,

Thanks very much.. Yes I was chuffed to bit's and had it mounted as I'd not seen a head like it before.

The Sika mount should have turned up in the post today and Royal Mail didnt meet the 48hrs delivery promise so it wont be going on the wall tonight!

Have a look at David's new site and the three deer going over the fence!!! Amazing and the owner is one lucky bloke.

Fingers crossed for a delivery tomorrow morning.

Robbo25

I had an American pronghorn antilope done 15 years ago and that was then 300 bucks so prices appear to reflect the work involved.
    Martin

I use a taxidermist in Lancashire near Preston called Steve Heyes, he's spot on, i've had many many things done by him probs about 20!! He is very reasonable.
    if any one needs his number PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Guys

Cheers
    About 250-ish....

I'd recommend Andy Denson, based in Padiham up near Blackburn in Lancashire. He's done a roebuck for me - I'll post a pic when I get chance, and I've got him lined up to do 5 shoulder mounts from my trip to South Africa.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.