Thread: Wood turners

Wood turners

Thinking of trying to turn a couple of pen blanks,have own wood. Is it worth the effort? looking for any information on ways forward.

Allan

The lad I work with turns pens and is making some very nice pens. There is a pen turning forum.

As an ex Design & Technology teacher I have overseen the "pen project" more times than I care to remember.
    As a project it is excellent, so long as you remember it will need to be repeated a number of times (dependent on your turning experience) before you perfect the various techniques.
    It really is straightforward, especially if you make/purchase the appropriate mandrels, drilling fixtures, assembly fixtures, etc..
    This assumes that you will eventually produce more than the occasional one-off as a gift or just to satisfy yourself that you are able to make one. Once you get started and have perfected the required techniques you will find it difficult to stop.
    Overall, it's not a difficult process, rather more a discipline.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Thinking of trying to turn a couple of pen blanks,have own wood. Is it worth the effort? looking for any information on ways forward.

Allan
    Allan,There is a woodturning group/club in our area. A friend who I reload for is in it. I believe they have their meetings in the Munlochy Community Hall....

Fantastic information guys,many thanks

Allan