Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to a single calibre

Back to a single calibre

Hi all.
    I always used to shoot just a .22LR for small vermin and the occasional fox when the opportunity arose and a .243 for my deer and foxes. For the last few years I still use my 22LR and have a T3 in 22-250 and a Sako 85 in 308 in place of the 243 ( which I have for sale in the classifieds ). I have decided to go back to a single calibre and a little while back was thinking along the lines of a 6.5x55 but looking at a few different calibres and bullet weights the 260 Rem and the 7mm08 have sneaked in to the running.
    If you were in my shoes what would you go for and why, setting aside the usual I've got one and it shoots great ?

.243 deer legal for all uk species and a bloody good fox round

243 but if you want bigger the 6.5x55 is a fantastic round and you can get from 80 grn to 160 grn bullets

I have a .243 and a .260 if one had to go ! I would KEEP the .260

Have a look at the .25 cals, 25-06 will drop any UK deer with a blow like Thors hammer, dont know why but it does. 257 Roberts is just as good but down a little on ballistics, personally i shoot a 257 Improved.
    Bullet weights vary from 75grn true varmint bullets up to 120grn big game bullets, i shoot 90grn Sierra Blitzkings at 3360fps and they kill everything i shoot at.
    A friend has a 25-06 Imp. which launches 100grn Sierra Game kings at 3500fps, he says deer drop on the spot when hit with this combo and it is an excellent long range varmint round when loaded with 85grn ballistic tips

Ian.

If I was just going to have one centre fire
    for me it would be a no brainier
    6.5x55 every day for me , good bullet choice for reloading and can always get factory ammo
    wI'll drop everything in the UK , packs a punch but low recoil more of a push than a sharp recoil
    infact I find it more pleasant to shoot than a 243 , may be down to slower burning powders
    i know a lot of this could be said about all the rounds above in this thread
    but accuracy and such a pleasant recoil win me over every time
    good luck in your choice

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Have a look at the .25 cals, 25-06 will drop any UK deer with a blow like Thors hammer, dont know why but it does. 257 Roberts is just as good but down a little on ballistics, personally i shoot a 257 Improved.
    Bullet weights vary from 75grn true varmint bullets up to 120grn big game bullets, i shoot 90grn Sierra Blitzkings at 3360fps and they kill everything i shoot at.
    A friend has a 25-06 Imp. which launches 100grn Sierra Game kings at 3500fps, he says deer drop on the spot when hit with this combo and it is an excellent long range varmint round when loaded with 85grn ballistic tips

Ian.
    Hi Ian , the 25-06 was actually one of the other calibres I'd looked at but discounted it due to max bullet weight.

7mm-08. It's my go-to big game rifle.~Muir

Why not just keep your 308?

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5rem700 View Post
    If I was just going to have one centre fire
    for me it would be a no brainier
    6.5x55 every day for me , good bullet choice for reloading and can always get factory ammo
    wI'll drop everything in the UK , packs a punch but low recoil more of a push than a sharp recoil
    infact I find it more pleasant to shoot than a 243 , may be down to slower burning powders
    i know a lot of this could be said about all the rounds above in this thread
    but accuracy and such a pleasant recoil win me over every time
    good luck in your choice
    agree with all of this. Or go off the wall and choose a 30-06. 110gr for foxes all the way up to 220gr for anything else you fancy if a trip abroad grabs you.