Thread: chrono

chrono

I borrowed a mates chrono and pur three shots through it, there was about 100fps between the highest and lowest readings, is this the norm for home loading with the basic Lee loader type kit, and a newby to reloading, its a 22.250, many thanks, cheers

No. Something is wrong. How many rounds across the screens and at what distance?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
    I borrowed a mates chrono and pur three shots through it, there was about 100fps between the highest and lowest readings, is this the norm for home loading with the basic Lee loader type kit, and a newby to reloading, its a 22.250, many thanks, cheers
    The difference between highest and lowest is known as: Extreme Spread (ES)
    Reloaders are looking for the lowest ES they can achieve. This is done by means of a number of factors, but brass preparation is the first of these and requires the most keen attention.

Put simply: By being careful and paying attention to detail from brass prep to bullet seating, you can get to a much better ES and that will mean you achieved better consistency. That then should translate to better accuracy.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

When I started reloading I used to get results like that, e.g my first efforts at reloading in .243 :- N 140 powder 36 grn, 90 grn bullet MV slowest 2867 fps, fastest 2962 fps - 6 round average 2918 fps.

With experience and if you need it better kit you will shrink this variation e.g. RL15 38grn, 90 grn bullet slowest MV 2948 fps, fastest MV 2956 fps - 3 round average 2953 fps

atb Tim

If three rounds was all that you put through it, then all you got was a ball-park estimate of performance. Ten rounds is about the minimum you should chrono. Twenty is better. I have run 20 round strings were a 80 fps drop suddenly shows up in the middle rounds that otherwise had an ES of 12. ~Muir

Thanks for replies, perhaps I should have put a few more shots through as two shots were very close, accurecy is still much better than I was getting with factory, I will try to take a bit more care with the brass prep, cheers