Thread: Rifle prices

Rifle prices

After having heard of the new Sauer 100 I had a look on the net. Had a big surprise.

US advert at $699 wich is 629 euro.
    French price : 1099 euro.

Out of intrest had a look at the Tikka T3

US price T3 lite : $ 552 wich is 496 euro
    European price : 1100 euro ( Belgium - Germany )

For rifles made in Europe , strange to see.

I am afraid that the Brits (Henceforth referred to as "The Outcasts of Europe" TOOE ) have been banging on about this for years.

David.

What is strange?? we have always been taxed high with lots of hidden taxes and taxes upon taxes after all we really must keep the trough filled for those big wigs with their noses in it.

I know, but we pay about the double. The T3 is even more than double.

Think yourself lucky it is only double.

I'd guess the US buy far more rifles than we (in Europe) do, so perhaps that helps them get a better deal? Sauer/Tikka will have to compete with home made US stuff as well on price.

hh

Anther thing with the USA is that they have a strong desire to buy their own made rifles so any import has to be competitively priced to temp an American away from a good American made rifle. Just in the same way a BMW or Mercedes is cheaper in the USA than Germany.

It's the same with most things over there, optics, fishing gear, rifles. The usual is to see equipment priced over there in dollars at about the same amount we pay here in pounds. I bought a Zeiss rangefinder over there a couple years ago and it was $575 - the same thing in UK (see Sporting Rifle review...) has a RRP of 599! The worst one was a pair of Kolpin rifle carriers for the front of the ATV - $19.99 in USA and often shown here as 20 - 24 + 10.50 delivery, plus they don't mention customs duty!

My take.... Europe can screw Europeans when selling their products, outside of Europe nobody really needs any of the European products that is why the prices must be lowered. Remember US car prices being about half compared to Europe in the early eighties when I was over there first and a half year ago it was similar.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by SDC7x57 View Post
    It's the same with most things over there, optics, fishing gear, rifles. The usual is to see equipment priced over there in dollars at about the same amount we pay here in pounds. I bought a Zeiss rangefinder over there a couple years ago and it was $575 - the same thing in UK (see Sporting Rifle review...) has a RRP of 599! The worst one was a pair of Kolpin rifle carriers for the front of the ATV - $19.99 in USA and often shown here as 20 - 24 + 10.50 delivery, plus they don't mention customs duty!
    Welcome to free market capitalism...