Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making .22Hornet Small Deer Legal ?

Making .22Hornet Small Deer Legal ?

Some time ago, one of our SD members was trying to discover a load that would make the .22Hornet Lawful for shooting small deer (Muntjac/CWD) in England and Wales (Roe in Scotland). To do so one would need 1,000 ft.lbs. muzzle energy with a 50 grain bullet.
    That means just over 3,000 fps.

We didn't hear any more of it though.

Best I can get is 2,900fps with a 40 grain bullet and a full case of H. Li'll Gun so perhaps not possible I suspect ? Just curious.
    Last edited by Uncle Norm; 27-06-2016 at 16:06. Reason: typo
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Has anyone ever been challenged about what ammunition they are using?

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Has anyone ever been challenged about what ammunition they are using?
    That's what I always ask. How many times do you have your ammunition even looked at??

As to the 50 grain. No. It's not practical to try to get .222 speeds from a 22 Hornet. If you get unlucky enough to get questioned and you are carrying a Hornet, and the officer is familiar with the cartridge's ballistic limitations, you will most likely be busted without him ever having tested a round. I load a 45 grain HP over Lil Gun and get 2850 but that is only good for just under 800 ft/lbs.~Muir

50gns, 3000fps, 22 Hornet Ye Gods

I had 2992ftps out of a 50 Grain SPSX bullet out of my .22 Hornet using 13.6 grains of Lil-gun. (No pressure signs, you wont with Lil-Gun)

However accuracy was best at 13.2 grains which was 2910ftps.

Best I ever got was 2999 fps with a 45gr V-max and 13.9 grains of Lil'Gun. I remember speaking to an old chap and his first estate rifle was a Hornet and he used to cull red hinds with it, did the job as he put it.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I wonder how fast my 40g vmax were doing then with 18.50 grains of Lil gun under them.
    As a footnote above projectile not recommended for Deer management . Just in case our Mandy is watching

Richard Prior shot his first Roe with a 22 Hornet - .... I know he doesn't advocate it's use now though! ..... Muntjac certainly need a bit more punch to knock them over sometimes.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I wonder how fast my 40g vmax were doing then with 18.50 grains of Lil gun under them.
    As a footnote above projectile not recommended for Deer management . Just in case our Mandy is watching
    What case were you loading 18.50 grains of Lil Gun in?? ~Muir

could you try a pistol powder instead of lil gun? this is a genuine question i saw a photo of a gun that was blown apart by using pistol powder at a massive charge, id guess the case volume cant be far off some of the larger pistol type rounds. is it a reaĺly stupid idea?