Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting reloading, a question about resizing brass.

starting reloading, a question about resizing brass.

I'm just in the process of making up my first set of reloaded ammunition. Brass is all deprimed, cleaned and resized. The data with my full length Lee resizing die says to trim if the cases are beyond 51.18mm. As my Federal brass is only once fired (in my gun), not many of them were over that limit. However, the Lee trimming gauge resizes down to approx 51.04mm when I've used it.

Should I resize all the brass down to the same length of 51.04mm so that they're all of an equal size? It's not going to affect my accuracy in the real world I don't think, I'm not shooting a target shooting rifle at this stage (though I will at some point so I'm looking to develop good habits) and it doesn't take that long to trim a box of casings down to the standard length. Would you habitually resize your brass each time or only when it's got beyond 51.18mm?

The first batch of 50 cases I only trimmed the over-length ones, the second batch I trimmed them all because, well, I'm a little bit ocd like that

Thanks.

It is good to start with them all the same length. Especially if you are intending to used the taper crimp that some dies have in them as cases of differing lengths will get differing amounts of crimp applied. Just one good reason to have a Lee factory crimp die. As they have all come from your own rifle then you can set you die to partially resize this will reduce the amount the brass is worked. Simply back off the sizing die 1/4 of a turn and size a case then check it chambers easily. If it does you good to go if not tighten the die slightly until it does.

Is fire-formed brass from own rifle more desirable, and then only need the neck resized? Or should all brass be fully resized? Just asking as I am a complete reloading novice.

Conure, thanks, I'll carry on this way then by trimming them to the set length. I plan to use the crimp die in the Lee die set so that's a good idea on setting up thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HowaU View Post
    Is fire-formed brass from own rifle more desirable, and then only need the neck resized? Or should all brass be fully resized? Just asking as I am a complete reloading novice.
    Fireformed and necksized should get more life out of the brass. Also the lee necksizing die doesn't need lube so is quicker to use. And a lot less force required

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    Conure, thanks, I'll carry on this way then by trimming them to the set length. I plan to use the crimp die in the Lee die set so that's a good idea on setting up thanks.
    I FL resize almost everything for uniformity. I also trim to the same length at every loading.I also crimp so uniform length is necessary for a uniform crimp.~Muir

Thanks Muir, I'm coming to the same decision. Just been to the bench and trimmed the other batch to be the same length. Planning on the crimp too so sounds like a good system to get into right from the start.

Thanks Muir, I'm coming to the same decision. Just been to the bench and trimmed the other batch to be the same length. Planning on the crimp too so sounds like a good system to get into right from the start.
    I have been reloading for over 4 decades and ended up here. You are saving yourself a lot of time and money. You will draw a lot of criticism for FL sizing and crimping but don't be swayed. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have been reloading for over 4 decades and ended up here. You are saving yourself a lot of time and money. You will draw a lot of criticism for FL sizing and crimping but don't be swayed. ~Muir
    Muir ...... thought that with the Lee Factory Crimp exact length trimming is not required as it squeezes the crimp in for the side and not forcing it down from the top. Or have I got teh wrong end of the stick on this?

I'm just in the process of making up my first set of reloaded ammunition. Brass is all deprimed, cleaned and resized. The data with my full length Lee resizing die says to trim if the cases are beyond 51.18mm. As my Federal brass is only once fired (in my gun), not many of them were over that limit. However, the Lee trimming gauge resizes down to approx 51.04mm when I've used it.

Should I resize all the brass down to the same length of 51.04mm so that they're all of an equal size? It's not going to affect my accuracy in the real world I don't think, I'm not shooting a target shooting rifle at this stage (though I will at some point so I'm looking to develop good habits) and it doesn't take that long to trim a box of casings down to the standard length. Would you habitually resize your brass each time or only when it's got beyond 51.18mm?

The first batch of 50 cases I only trimmed the over-length ones, the second batch I trimmed them all because, well, I'm a little bit ocd like that

Thanks.
    I’m not sure what Lee die-set you have. The .308 is so common that their die sets come in every form – these are ‘RGB’ (FLR & SEAT), ‘Pacesetter’ (FLR, SEAT, FCD), ‘Collet’ (CNSZ, SEAT), and now the ‘Ultimate’ (FLR, SEAT, FCD, CNSZ). The CNSZ die can also be bought separately in .308 to add to the first two options, or any other brand of die.

There is another way as you have fire-formed cases. Trimming is a chore best avoided, so I don’t bother until case length is 51.3. As the industry chamber OAL is 51.46 there’s plenty of clearance.

Having tried it I’m not a believer in crimping. Whenever possible I use a Lee CNSZ die to only neck size cases once-fired in my rifle, or after the second firing of once-fired cases from a foreign rifle (full-length resized to maximum beforehand).

CNSZD cases don’t grow at the neck like cases which have been neck-sized conventionally or full-length resized. It doesn’t really matter how uniform in length the necks are to start with, so they can vary in length. Nor do you need to lube, or even clean the cases apart from the neck as they won’t scratch the die. I like to clean my cases and rifles every time, but that’s an ingrained habit that can’t be changed now.

No criticism on my part of whatever path anyone chooses, but this is just what works for me.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.