Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone dabble in shares?

Anyone dabble in shares?

Just wondering if you had say a grand knocking about spare would you buy shares now while they are down in the hope that it all settles and they recover and go back up over the coming months? Or is it too volatile to risk in case it goes completely belly up and they crash (which I doubt but I've never had shares)

Or would it be best to buy a load of premium bonds and some more shooting kit?!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Depending on a lot of personal things but I'd look towards bank saris at the min but be prepared to hold your nerve and you be in for a bumpy ride for a while so best to buy and then forget about them for a while
    This is by no me as financial advice! !
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Just wondering if you had say a grand knocking about spare would you buy shares now while they are down in the hope that it all settles and they recover and go back up over the coming months? Or is it too volatile to risk in case it goes completely belly up and they crash (which I doubt but I've never had shares)

Or would it be best to buy a load of premium bonds and some more shooting kit?!

Stratts
    Maybe better to shoot it down the barrel, at least you would know it hadn't ended up in a rich bankers pocket, well most of it anyway?

Seriously, only if you can afford to loose It?
    Last edited by old man; 28-06-2016 at 11:38.

Strats
    buy into a good fund don't expect to make a fortune buy a income fund in a isa ( income monthly or quarterly in a isa tax free and a chance of capital growth )
    Last edited by african jack; 28-06-2016 at 15:43.

Best to look for stuff that people need/can't do without, then see what's been affected by last week's decision and go from there
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

One sector that interests me - I have NO experience however, is housebuilders. on the day they lost 30% on average (the big ones). Their landbanks still exist - interest rates are low and may go to 0% there is still demand but not outrageous profits. The guys who wanted a killing are gone but I can only see a slow rise. I shall (hypothetically) invest 10K and see how it would have fared in real life !

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    One sector that interests me - I have NO experience however, is housebuilders. on the day they lost 30% on average (the big ones). Their landbanks still exist - interest rates are low and may go to 0% there is still demand but not outrageous profits. The guys who wanted a killing are gone but I can only see a slow rise. I shall (hypothetically) invest 10K and see how it would have fared in real life !

Suspect you will lose money on them unless you would be willing to hold for 3 years or more tbh. The cost of their raw materials just went through the roof.... No pun intended.

Anyways to the OP I used to be a broker so I dabble a bit, bought in on Friday morning during the chaos before everything got shut off. Anything FTSE 100 is a solid bet for the simple reason the components are predominantly global mega companies not overly adversely affected by the Brexit vote. The HSBCs' Shell etc of the world will happily ride out this storm and use Brexit as an excuse for cost cutting and the like. If you have a grand to punt then just pick a stock from the 100 and go with it. IMO avoid anything Aim/250 at the moment as they will be hit hardest by the uncertainty.

I guess the question to ask yourself is whether you will not need the money for 3-5 years. If the answer is a definite no then go ahead. If its yes or maybe, put it somewhere less risky.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    Persimmon homes. I held out until Cameron's speech on Monday and I've made money on them already rebounding. The same goes for all of the house builders really, it was just that persimmon had the biggest % fall at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordiehillbilly View Post
    Persimmon homes. I held out until Cameron's speech on Monday and I've made money on them already rebounding. The same goes for all of the house builders really, it was just that persimmon had the biggest % fall at the time.
    Well done you - Rasputin has a good point. They say you cant be sentimental about shares - pick a system "fall by so much and sell etc". A colleague of mine used to make a good income by trading shares but it becomes an obsession - hourly checks and all that, apparently.
    Whatever you choose OP be prepared to hang on for a while. I'm getting just over 1% at the moment and thats security for you.