Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulsar quantum xd50s thermal spotter

Pulsar quantum xd50s thermal spotter

Who's got one for stalking and how do you find it want some feed back before I commit to buying one cheers

I got one about a month ago, mainly for foxing and rabbits but must admit I'm impressed. Look into a field at night and you can see the rabbits everywhere far more than I used to see with just the lamp!
    Haven't tried it for stalking but when I first got it I could clearly see some horses in a field about a mile away!

If you have that available pennies - you won't regret it. Had one for about a year now. just need to get the drone set up on the 22 then I'm going to have some proper fun on the rabbits! on a stalking note - some ground I have its invaluable, other where I have less pressure and there is less deer pressure, to be honest it I'll have a quick scan when I'm heading onto the ground with the car then it gets left in the car when I'm out on foot.
    It helps find the deer for you much quicker although you still have to get to a point which you are able to shoot it.

SD Regular
    Just bear in mind that the XD series is being replaced with the XQ series. The XD series is very good indeed as has been said. If you believe the specs, the XQ38 is a slight upgrade on the XD50 - just worth thinking about before you buy - unless you're buying second hand of course.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I've just bought xq38 and it's very impressive not only for spotting but for then finding once shot. Get it bought, you won't regret it.
    Bryn

The HD series was discontinued a while back and are nigh on impossible to find.
    The XD series has just been discontinued and replaced by the XQ series.
    I'd definitely go for the XQ - it has a better sensor which will give pretty much double the magnification of the XD series.
    To put it another way the maximum detection range of an XQ38 is further than an XD50.

Cheers

Bruce

You could wipe out a deer population very quickly with one.

I had entertained the idea of getting one but I am a bit apprehensive about its IP rating, IPX4. How have you lads managed on wet outings. Also how does different weather conditions effect it's use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by straightpull6547 View Post
    You could wipe out a deer population very quickly with one.
    Used illegally, there's no doubt it could be done - but you could say that about lamping deer as well.

When used within the law a thermal spotter is an invaluable piece of kit.
    A gamekeeper pal of mine recently had some guests over from Denmark and, by using his thermal to spot roe deer in cover that could not be seen with binoculars, he was able to avoid bumping does and get his guests onto shootable bucks on every stalk morning and evening for 5 successive days.

Cheers

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry hunter View Post
    I had entertained the idea of getting one but I am a bit apprehensive about its IP rating, IPX4. How have you lads managed on wet outings. Also how does different weather conditions effect it's use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Never had any problems with it getting wet - keep it inside your jacket.
    Weather conditions do affect performance - the higher the humidity the less range and clarity you'll get - but you'll still see stuff you would miss with binoculars
    Cold, crisp days are best because the humidity is low and the temperature difference between the animal and the background is at it's greatest.

Cheers

Bruce