Thread: Good Link

While it may be that some rifles do not have 100% lug contact, using this method (with JB or any abrasive compound) will remove meterial from the rear of the lug and possibly the action lug abutments.

Yes you would be able to wear down the lugs so thatboth are in full contact with the corresponding action abutment, BUT.........

Whats happening to your headspacing?

The difference bettween Go and No Go guages is usually in the order of .004" - .006"

If your rifle has a "slack" chamber (on the larger headspace side) and you start making this alteration you can easilly remove .004 - .006" with lapping the lugs, pushing the rifles chamber into a potentially dangerous state.

Ive looked at my records of actions ive trued and the average I remove from the lugs on a remington is .003" in the lathe, the material removed from the abutments is bettween .002 - .006" from my experience.

So potentially you are removing up to .009" to get the lugs fully touching.

This means that the rifle should have the barrel taken off and the shoulder and tenon length ajusted accordingly, plus if its a rebated bolt nose this needs ajusting.

As well, don't forget that youve just altered a pressure bearing suface - the lugs, so if you intend to sell the rifle it will require re-proof.

I applaud the link and the well intended sentiment, but maybe, it hasn't thought everything through as carefully as they should have.

Potentially lethal advice.....

At first i thought this post was about ear defenders!!

As redmist has said i would not even think about doing this to any rifle i own. you can not reliably add pressure to ensure the lugs are worn evenly.and if the action abutments and the bolt lug are both out you could very very quickly be out of head space specks.
    all so this is normally done when both the action and the bolt have had some work done say blueprinting,then you can lap away and then reset your head space when chambering a new barrel.
    but if you wish crack on with this method and possibly end up with your face on the wrong side of a case head separation.
    ATB
    Cam

Doesn't matter if you bugger up a good rifle by tinkering like this, as long as you live to tell the tale you can always get it rebarreled, that seems to be the answer to everything these days! ......missed a muntjac at 250m the other day....better get my rifle rebarreled in .50BMG....
    I often wonder how the hell I shot my first couple of hundred deer with a Brno in .243!
    JC

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    While it may be that some rifles do not have 100% lug contact, using this method (with JB or any abrasive compound) will remove meterial from the rear of the lug and possibly the action lug abutments.

Yes you would be able to wear down the lugs so thatboth are in full contact with the corresponding action abutment, BUT.........

Whats happening to your headspacing?

The difference bettween Go and No Go guages is usually in the order of .004" - .006"

If your rifle has a "slack" chamber (on the larger headspace side) and you start making this alteration you can easilly remove .004 - .006" with lapping the lugs, pushing the rifles chamber into a potentially dangerous state.

Ive looked at my records of actions ive trued and the average I remove from the lugs on a remington is .003" in the lathe, the material removed from the abutments is bettween .002 - .006" from my experience.

So potentially you are removing up to .009" to get the lugs fully touching.

This means that the rifle should have the barrel taken off and the shoulder and tenon length ajusted accordingly, plus if its a rebated bolt nose this needs ajusting.

As well, don't forget that youve just altered a pressure bearing suface - the lugs, so if you intend to sell the rifle it will require re-proof.

I applaud the link and the well intended sentiment, but maybe, it hasn't thought everything through as carefully as they should have.

Potentially lethal advice.....
    Good points there Andy I must admit I didnt think about changes in headspace and neither did i think about it needing re proof but your quite correct, Its a good job my shoenaur is as smooth as silk or I might have been tempted
    Stu
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 16-06-2010 at 17:33.