Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware doctors

Beware doctors

Just heard from my friend who is a farmer that the police can't renew his ticket because his doctor will not sign his letter, they do not agree with shooting, so beware of your doctor

Change doctor!

This is a non workable piece of legislation. Doctors have enough work, and they do not have to sign or agree to this.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by theredfox View Post
    Just heard from my friend who is a farmer that the police can't renew his ticket because his doctor will not sign his letter, they do not agree with shooting, so beware of your doctor
    This is not possible since if the doctor refuses 'on principle' the police doctor must make the assessment and for this to happen he must have advised of one of a very narrow number of conditions (e.g. Depression). Involve BASC who negotiated this deal and do look ate the other threads which relate - he simply cannot be refused on the grounds you suggest in your post.

That sounds very discriminatory to me, doesn't that contravene GMC Guidelines ?

The only way the doctor can refuse to sign is if he was asked to be the referee simply as someone who knows the applicant, and then he is in his rights to refuse. The referee just needs to be someone who has known you for 2 years (I think). The doctor can't refuse to share the medical records. If the doctor refuses to sign as a referee because they think the perrson is unfit, then I thikn they have to report this to the police.

As one who keeps medical records, I'd be happy for a fee to the GP to be part of my FAC. BASC may feel it's "public service" to check I'm suitable, but ownership of firearms is a choice I make to persue a pastime, so I should pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    The only way the doctor can refuse to sign is if he was asked to be the referee simply as someone who knows the applicant, and then he is in his rights to refuse. The referee just needs to be someone who has known you for 2 years (I think). The doctor can't refuse to share the medical records. If the doctor refuses to sign as a referee because they think the perrson is unfit, then I thikn they have to report this to the police.

As one who keeps medical records, I'd be happy for a fee to the GP to be part of my FAC. BASC may feel it's "public service" to check I'm suitable, but ownership of firearms is a choice I make to persue a pastime, so I should pay.
    Indeed you do have to pay, what you have to pay is defined by Statutory Instrument

I don't believe a word of it.

The matter of a GP not wishing to take part in a patients application/renewal process has been fully thought through by the Police/Home Office who clearly state that an applicant must NOT be disadvantaged by a GP's refusal to take part.

I quote............

If the GP fails to respond to the police letter because it has been lost in the post or hasbeen mislaid the letter will not be attached to the patient record. In these circumstancesthere can be no expectation that the GP would be able to respond or provide informationconcerning a person’s medical fitness. If the GP feels unable to participate on the basisof a conscientious objection, or for any other reason, they should refer the patient to acolleague if possible. If no colleague is willing or available, the GP should inform the policeimmediately that they will not be able to complete the form. In the unlikely event that thisarises the police should discuss with the applicant/certificate holder how to obtain adequatemedical information. The applicant or certificate holder should not be disadvantaged, northe application delayed, by a GP’s refusal to provide medical information.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    I don't believe a word of it.

The matter of a GP not wishing to take part in a patients application/renewal process has been fully thought through by the Police/Home Office who clearly state that an applicant must NOT be disadvantaged by a GP's refusal to take part.

I quote............

If the GP fails to respond to the police letter because it has been lost in the post or hasbeen mislaid the letter will not be attached to the patient record. In these circumstancesthere can be no expectation that the GP would be able to respond or provide informationconcerning a person’s medical fitness. If the GP feels unable to participate on the basisof a conscientious objection, or for any other reason, they should refer the patient to acolleague if possible. If no colleague is willing or available, the GP should inform the policeimmediately that they will not be able to complete the form. In the unlikely event that thisarises the police should discuss with the applicant/certificate holder how to obtain adequatemedical information. The applicant or certificate holder should not be disadvantaged, northe application delayed, by a GP’s refusal to provide medical information.

I think -------"This is not possible" suggests something else may be amiss, just trying to be inoffensive.