Beware doctors

Or in the case of me and the couple of chaps that work for me on the farm half a days pay !.......no small amount.
But not paid annually spread over five years so less than one hours pay per year. If they bring in the ten year licence even less.
we either pay directly or indirectly in taxes either way we have to pay it.

BE

I find myself in that embarrassing place of agreeing with BASC _ NO we shouldnt pay more - the agreement is clear with the police and the GMC. Doctors wildly asking for fees when a detailed agreement is in place and understood by everyone is, I suggest ignorance of the detail or opportunism, neither of which doctors should be able to hide behind. If an organisation which exists to represent you agrees something - you most certainly should NOT undermine them by agreeing like sheep to pay - sorry, in this BASC are right

I find myself in that embarrassing place of agreeing with BASC _ NO we shouldnt pay more - the agreement is clear with the police and the GMC. Doctors wildly asking for fees when a detailed agreement is in place and understood by everyone is, I suggest ignorance of the detail or opportunism, neither of which doctors should be able to hide behind. If an organisation which exists to represent you agrees something - you most certainly should NOT undermine them by agreeing like sheep to pay - sorry, in this BASC are right
There has been a long standing agreement from the BMA that what fees should be charged for these kind of reports. This was in existence long before the police decided to ask for these reports. The failing here is in the police not realising that such reports could be charged for and that who would be responsible with covering those costs. There are two options increase fee of licence and police pay or we fund ourselves with our own Doctor. The first option will always be the cheapest as the police can negotiate a reduced rate with the GP's.
BE

There has been a long standing agreement from the BMA that what fees should be charged for these kind of reports. This was in existence long before the police decided to ask for these reports. The failing here is in the police not realising that such reports could be charged for and that who would be responsible with covering those costs. There are two options increase fee of licence and police pay or we fund ourselves with our own Doctor. The first option will always be the cheapest as the police can negotiate a reduced rate with the GP's.
BE

You need to read the BASC quote by David. He sets out the agreement in detail - everyone left the meeting with an understanding of what had been agreed. Sorry, its like asking for another vote on Brexit - no.

By the way the BMA is not the GMC. The one,GMC | Server error, the other(trade union) BMA - Home
Doctors heal the sick - they dont do politics with patients. Trade Unions might.

You need to read the BASC quote by David. He sets out the agreement in detail - everyone left the meeting with an understanding of what had been agreed. Sorry, its like asking for another vote on Brexit - no.

By the way the BMA is not the GMC. The one,GMC | Server error, the other(trade union) BMA - Home
Doctors heal the sick - they dont do politics with patients. Trade Unions might.
I have read this release and also the original document produced by BASC in April. In the April document it clearly states that there is "an expectation that there will be no fee" for the initial request. This DOES NOT say there will be NO fee and the press release is a spin on the original document. What is also interesting is that there is no mention of the clause that if an illness is disclosed by the aplicant then they are liable for all the fees related to any reports needed. To me it smacks of shutting the gate once the horse is bolted. At the end if the day what is being asked if the GP is work outside of the NHS and therefore deemed private and there is a whole different fee structure in place for this.

the GMC deals with matters to do with training and maintaining standards within the profession ( quality and behaviour) and have NO jurisdiction over any doctor as to what they choose to charge for out of NHS work (that is a private contract between the doctor and the individual). It is the BMA who act as the advisory group into what is a reasonable fee structure but again cannot enforce this. At the end if the day I do not think it unreasonable or unprofessional for a GP to ask to be paid for any work that they have done.

BE

Back