Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 hunting bullets

.243 hunting bullets

Hi Guys, does anyone know of a reasonably tough .243 hunting bullets ( not varmint ) thats about 70grns in weight? my rifle prefers this weight but will shoot a heavier bullet. just not as accurate so if possible id like to try and find a harder lightweight bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Copper?
    69gr GS Custom

This may be tricky, the 243 was always designed for fox/coyote sized prey with 70gn projectiles as the design weight, so generally the 70gn bullets are more frangible.

I use 80gn Nosler BT's in mine and they work well on the smaller deer species but might struggle on a big Sika or Red so I have a 7mm08/308 for that.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Nosler Partition in either 85, 95 and 100 grain

Barnes TTSX 85 grain. As these bullets have no lead core, they will be as long as a 100 grain lead core bullet and probably have those balistic behaviour.

Sierra Gameking 85 gr

Maybe not the "toughest" but no getting up from all the 6 species its hit! and deadly accurate

Sierra 80gr SPBT "varminter" which is much harder than the name suggests, seen it penetrate front to back through a sika. Fantastic accurate bullet.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    Sierra Gameking 85 gr Maybe not the "toughest" but no getting up from all the 6 species its hit! and deadly accurate
    Not sure if it is the same one but Sierra Game King 85 gn Hpt are another contender for the best bullet around that weight for Deer.

Sorry guys I should have said I have a .30-06 for the larger species this is for roe/fallow. Some good suggestions I'll look into!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Not sure if it is the same one but Sierra Game King 85 gn Hpt are another contender for the best bullet around that weight for Deer.
    +1 One and the same ......Sierra 85 grain Gameking Ref 1530

The 85 grain soft point is also a good bullet Ref 1520