Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driven Boar expectations...

Driven Boar expectations...

What are peoples expectations when they go Boar hunting?

* Bag you'd expect to kill
    * Accom you'd like to stay in
    * Numbers of Boar seen
    * Price you think is acceptable to pay
    * Total numbers of hunters

Say a trip was 1,100 for 3 nights and 2 days- what would you expect from that?

Reason for asking: just out of pure interest as not many seem that satisfied with Boar trips when you read reports.

I think the issue is that a lot of people spend far too much time watching the likes of wild boar fever on youtube before going on a trip and get the impression 'driven hunting' equates to the British notion of 'driven shooting' where by there is a high number of birds/boar and you'll have them dropping all around you...

the reality is somewhat different, especially if shooting unfenced wild forests. The skill level required is probably higher than a lot of people appreciate, as lets face it, we've all seen Prince Franz Albrect slotting 20 boar on one drive and making it look easy...... it isn't and in reality, it doesn't happen like that. And what they don't waste time filming are the other 3 days drives where he shot nothing at all.......!

As for numbers of boar/hunters etc, on some hunts I've been on there have been over 100 guns, but the area we were shooting is was plenty big enough to accommodate that number. As for numbers of game, well, its nice to see something on a drive, there's nothing more sole destroying that sitting in your stand for 3 hours freezing cold and seeing bugger all..... but that is hunting, how many times do you sit in a highseat at home and not see a deer.... it happens...
    granted, its frustrating if the whole hunt is unsuccessful, and the overall bag is far smaller than anticipated, but lets face it, that's also frustrating fro the hunt organisers as they will have wanted/needed to get their bag shot ideally so you aren't the only one disappointed....
    So I suspect for most people its misguided from the outset, if it was viewed like a stalking trip where the animals are wild and the chances are stacked in the animals favour I suspect more folks would be less disappointed with coming home empty handed. I just think expectations are set too high for wild hunting.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I think the issue is that a lot of people spend far too much time watching the likes of wild boar fever on youtube before going on a trip and get the impression 'driven hunting' equates to the British notion of 'driven shooting' where by there is a high number of birds/boar and you'll have them dropping all around you...

the reality is somewhat different, especially if shooting unfenced wild forests. The skill level required is probably higher than a lot of people appreciate, as lets face it, we've all seen Prince Franz Albrect slotting 20 boar on one drive and making it look easy...... it isn't and in reality, it doesn't happen like that. And what they don't waste time filming are the other 3 days drives where he shot nothing at all.......!

As for numbers of boar/hunters etc, on some hunts I've been on there have been over 100 guns, but the area we were shooting is was plenty big enough to accommodate that number. As for numbers of game, well, its nice to see something on a drive, there's nothing more sole destroying that sitting in your stand for 3 hours freezing cold and seeing bugger all..... but that is hunting, how many times do you sit in a highseat at home and not see a deer.... it happens...
    granted, its frustrating if the whole hunt is unsuccessful, and the overall bag is far smaller than anticipated, but lets face it, that's also frustrating fro the hunt organisers as they will have wanted/needed to get their bag shot ideally so you aren't the only one disappointed....
    So I suspect for most people its misguided from the outset, if it was viewed like a stalking trip where the animals are wild and the chances are stacked in the animals favour I suspect more folks would be less disappointed with coming home empty handed. I just think expectations are set too high for wild hunting.
    You and I share the same thoughts... I've heard many people say there going somewhere and I've watched youtube etc.. Those days can happen but, like some people I know participate in , cost a lot of thousands per day each

It's not just about the drives for me, it's catching up with old friends, eating out both at the drives and in the homes of friends, bit of sight seeing thrown in, the rest is down to luck/ skill /weather if it's a proper hunt.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I just think expectations are set too high for wild hunting.
    Very true deerstalker. I for one had gained the wrong impression and my expectations were set far too high when I went. As you say probably watched too many videos and read too much on websites about drives where large numbers of boar go stampeding past all within shooting range.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Spot on!!

You go for the experience and if you see something,all the better, if you shoot AT something, great. If you connect, the icing on the cake.
    I learnt a lot when I went, similar set up to our pheasant shoots, and on similar lines. You have big commercial pheasant shoots and you have a more friendly 'farmers' type shoot. You pays your money and you pick which one you want to go on.
    Personally. The 'farmers' shoot is the one I would be going on. Good company, good banter and a bit of shooting.

Just my thoughts on it.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by V.I View Post
    What are peoples expectations when they go Boar hunting?

* Bag you'd expect to kill
    * Accom you'd like to stay in
    * Numbers of Boar seen
    * Price you think is acceptable to pay
    * Total numbers of hunters

Say a trip was 1,100 for 3 nights and 2 days- what would you expect from that?

Reason for asking: just out of pure interest as not many seem that satisfied with Boar trips when you read reports.
    Say a trip was 1,100 for 3 nights and 2 days- what would you expect from that? Answer, not a lot. Deer Stalker .308 summed it up perfectly. I've had a good hunt if there is a good game parade at the end of the day even if i've not fired a shot. If at the end of the day few boar have been seen and even less shot then you have to question if the piss is being taken.
    To get the best out of the any hunting trip you must take in the whole experience.
    If you want the Wild boar fever experiance then pay BIG money or buy the next WBF video.

Wild boar hunting isnt like shooting doves in Argentina...
    Especially in some countries like Portugal where unfortunately poaching is a huge problem and the authorities dont give a rats arse. at other times organisers are greedy and have all year high seat shooting and still expect people to dish out good money for drives with no boar.

But, as many have already stated, even when there are numbers there is no certainty that you will see the quarry you are after, I have been on many wild boar drives in open forests with plenty of boar where all I saw were roe deer and foxes yet from the shooting around me you'd have thought someone was starting a war.

Like Alan, for me, a good hunt is based on the overall bag, not just what I see, or shoot.

I've been on days where 65 boar were shot in a day, and I didn't even see one, and I've been on days where only one boar was shot, and I was the lucky one.

I agree that it's the whole experience, not just the hunting, but people shouldn't forget what they were sold on, and what they've been told they're paying for.

All too often trip organizers/agents claim big numbers will be shot, only for there to be a massive let down, with poor numbers, and no recourse.

Just look at at how many of the trips listed on here, rarely mention the actual bag shot. Yes people had a great time regardless, but personally, I'd like to know what was shot, so I can see how the numbers stack up !

If you're looking at going on a trip, ask how many were shot on previous trips, and try to qualify, don't just base it on what is expected this time, because sellers always tend to exaggerate.

You also need to treat a driven hunting trip like any other, you may be lucky, you may not.

My analogy is to equate driven boar shooting with salmon fishing rather than pheasant shooting.

You stand for hours, even days, freezing your nuts of for no result.

Then the fish takes, or the boar appears, and the adrenalin takes over, it is electric.

You'll spend half your time asking yourself " what the f**k am I doing here? " You'll spend the journey home thinking, "how do I get back here ASAP"....

On the trip you are describing, if you get a couple of shots and killed one boar, that's great. If you get a beast on each day, you have done very well. If you don't fire a shot, you will be demoralised and pissed off - its nothing more than luck - assuming the organiser is honest and you are getting a fair chance.

I have been on eight trips, I shot one boar each on six of them, two on a single trip and on one trip I didn't get a shot at a boar - but I did shoot a Red and three Roe on that one.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......