Licence cost in perspective

N1mr0d

Over 5 years the cost of licences that I buy

TV licence £725 +
Canoeing = membership of the British Canoe Union £225
Angling - £135
Co-term renewal £65

Time to sell the tvs and buy a better scope - relatively speaking the cost of paying for the BBC - especially considering their lack of unbiased programs in almost everything I might be interested in, looks simply ludicrous.

TV licence £725 +
Angling - £135
Co-term renewal £65

Time to sell the tvs and buy a better scope - relatively speaking the cost of paying for the BBC - especially considering their lack of unbiased programs in almost everything I might be interested in, looks simply ludicrous.

Whats your theory to watch your neighbours TV through your new better scope?

You forgot to include the costs of actually participating in shooting sports which can be substantial, firearms laws themselves are drafted to benefit society as a whole so it would be fairer if certificates were to be paid for out of general taxation.

You forgot to include the costs of actually participating in shooting sports which can be substantial, firearms laws themselves are drafted to benefit society as a whole so it would be fairer if certificates were to be paid for out of general taxation.

I was trying to compare just the licensing. I rarely watch the BBC now as I find it untrustworthy. Membership of the BCU is to avoid charges by different water authorities who do little or nothing for canoists when really there are many precedents to suggest that free right of navigation exists on all our waterways.

I do see evidence of the EA spending fishing licence money on improving waterways so am quite happy to contribute this modest sum.

If firearms licencing should be free it could be argued that all of the above should also be free and paid for out of general taxation.

I feel that my coterm represents very good value relatively speaking at just £13 a year compared with other licences

Whats your theory to watch your neighbours TV through your new better scope?

Get rid of it entirely!

Haven't had a TV now for almost 12 years and don't miss it at all (well, apart from the rugby).

I spend a lot of time travelling abroad and staying in hotels, and I can't remember the last time I turned a TV on in the room (yes, not even for those movies ;)).

Between old skool books, the Internet, Kindle and iPad there is very little a TV has to offer.

TV licence £725 +
Angling - £135
Co-term renewal £65

It's perhaps interesting to note that some of those are licences, meaning that holding them permits you to do something that would otherwise be forbidden.

The others are certificates, which attest to your fitness to exercise your right in law to possess and use firearms of various kinds.

I wonder whether to compare the costs of these completely different things is actually helpful.

Back