Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steiner auto-focus

Steiner auto-focus

I'm curious as to how good their system is,Steiner say auto focus but I think what they mean is fixed focus. Does anyone have experience of these bins?.
    I have read the previous threads but there's not too much on how good/bad the auto focus is.

fraser

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I'm curious as to how good their system is,Steiner say auto focus but I think what they mean is fixed focus. Does anyone have experience of these bins?.
    I have read the previous threads but there's not too much on how good/bad the auto focus is.

fraser
    Top notch bins at good prices.

Unless they have some electronic wizardary inside like an AF camera then they are just binos with a very deep depth of field. On face value this seems like a very good idea and, for some uses it is, but, not so good if you want to look through or into cover when it is good to be able to focus out the intervening clutter. No doubt about the quality though but I would try before you buy just to see if this type is good for your purpose. JC

The principle sounds as if it would work against us, especially when something in the foreground could catch the auto focus, if it is as the camera lens AF system, or a large depth of field would prevent focusing beyond foreground clutter - no more sheltering behind some light cover and focussing through and beyond.

I suspect they are Auto Focus as explained in this review http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com...binoculars.php

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Pat

Yes, what I would call focus-free.

I have a pair of Zeiss Jena (Checkpoint Charlie) binos that I used for the first 3 or 4 years stalking before I bought some Swarovskis. The focus-free was actually pretty good - I actually found depth perception better with focus-free than with 'normal' binoculars.

I've got a pair of Steiner somewhere that are also focus-free, but the collimation is a bit out and sadly Steiner said that it wouldn't be economic to repair them.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I had the pleasure of using willie_guns focus free Zeiss (As I had left my bins at home ) and if they are like them then they are great. No problem looking through cover on the stalks through the Berkshire jungle just adjust where you were looking and Roberts your fathers brother.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Pat
    I've got a pair of Steiner somewhere that are also focus-free, but the collimation is a bit out and sadly Steiner said that it wouldn't be economic to repair them.
    willie_gunn
    That seems a bit tight. Steiner binos aren't exactly cheap. There's a lot to be said for Swarovski's 30 year guarantee when it come to issues like that.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Im uming and ahing myself about binos at the moment as Im still using my Grandfathers 60 year old stalking glasses and having seen at the Glos Rifle Range a demo of some modern binos I know im going to have to bite the bullet.

However Ive always been a bit nervous about too many moving parts in expensive optics and personally feel that the effort saved by using self focus could well cost a lot of money down the line if it breaks vs using the old fashioned finger.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    That seems a bit tight. Steiner binos aren't exactly cheap. There's a lot to be said for Swarovski's 30 year guarantee when it come to issues like that.
    Harry - that's exactly what I thought when Steiner told me. To be fair, I wasn't the original owner, but I was still surprised.

Pat - I'll bring the Swaro's and Zeiss Jena's to the Dog House on the 30th and you can have a look. Actually I'd think there are fewer moving parts in the focus-free set.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!