Thread: Any idea why?

Any idea why?

Maybe a daft question, but I was depriming some 357 brass today, and I had one case that would simply not get in the shellholder. Out of about 200 cases, this was the only one. Not a big issue, but any idea why this might be? Has this happened to any of you? The funny thing is that this case was loaded on the same press, using the same shellholder
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

normally been fired at very high pressure but yours sounds like a faulty case

As this is the only case out of the batch, and seeing that they were all loaded on the same press, with the same load and same shellholder I too think it is a faulty case. But then why did it go in the shelholder just fine when I was priming, sizing and seating it from new? A mystery...
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Hard to say. Soft brass? Warm load? Maybe the fit was marginal when new and firing just pushed it past acceptable tolerances. How much larger is it than the other cases at the rim?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Maybe a daft question, but I was depriming some 357 brass today, and I had one case that would simply not get in the shellholder. Out of about 200 cases, this was the only one. Not a big issue, but any idea why this might be? Has this happened to any of you? The funny thing is that this case was loaded on the same press, using the same shellholder
    Occasionally I get the same problem with .243 brass, very close examination reveals a slight deformation of the rim, not easily seen at first glance but sufficient to make it difficult to get into the shell holder.

Usually after multiple firings, not sure of the cause but brass does deform under pressure and neither full length nor neck sizing resizes the head (base) of the cartridge case.

I've had this problem with several cases from the last batch of once fired Lap brass that I bought. The case heads were slightly deformed presumably from over-pressure and were binned. Remaining cases are fine and have been reloaded several times since. My advice fwiw would be to bin the problem brass.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterP View Post
    I've had this problem with several cases from the last batch of once fired Lap brass that I bought. The case heads were slightly deformed presumably from over-pressure and were binned. Remaining cases are fine and have been reloaded several times since. My advice fwiw would be to bin the problem brass.
    I will, thanks. I was not going to re-use it, as I realised it must have been an odd one.