Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm Remington

6mm Remington

Hi,

I'm looking for an intermediate calibre for both foxes and deer to sit between my .223 and .308.

The obvious choice would be a .243 but I want something a little different so I am thinking about 6mm Remington. I know ammo is not plentiful but Hornady, Federal and Winchester all make rounds in various bullet weights and types.

Does anyone use this calibre and how do you find it for foxes and for deer.

Have you considered a 6XC? Norma ammunition is readily available as are Blaser barrels. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Have you considered a 6XC? Norma ammunition is readily available as are Blaser barrels. Regards JCS
    I shoot a 6XC and love it

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    got a old shooting mate who has a 6mm rem and loves it, he did struggle to find brass a while ago,

imhave shot hot it many times and found it a nice calibre to shoot, but I'm a 6mmbr fan and a bit of a 6.5/47 fan as well.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

SD Regular
    Hello S99. I have had one, a Parker Hale M81 and i'd say that as a cartridge it is far more elegant than the .243 Winchester. However is it as practical, less, or more? In essence it will take more powder and has a longer case neck. It also feeds that little bit better in standard Mauser length actions. It should do too as it's little more than a necked down 7x57.

But, here's the rub, in most UK made rifles and probably most continental rifles it'll probably be no mofre than a standard .243 Winchester barrel blank that was taken off the productio line and chambered for 6mm Rem instead of .243 Win. So it'll still have the same twist rate. So what it won't do is stabilise non-lead 100 grain bullets, nor, from my experence 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets.

The good news is that Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet has factory, Winchester, 100 grain 6mm Remington ammunition for sale at a fair price. I like the cartridge, I liked the rifle but I wanted it specifically to use Nosler Partition and with those it just ddn't work.

Oh, and if you need dies, somewhere, I think, I've a set of Forster dies. I'll have a look see if you, or anyone else reading this thread, is interested.

If I could get brass, I would build another 6 x 47 Swiss Match most inherently accurate rifle I ever owned , maybe brass might be easier to come by in Europe, but as JCS said look at the 6XC, I am thinking of building one myself just for the fun of it !

regards
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    If I could get brass, I would build another 6 x 47 Swiss Match most inherently accurate rifle I ever owned , maybe brass might be easier to come by in Europe, but as JCS said look at the 6XC, I am thinking of building one myself just for the fun of it !

regards
    Mike.
    No 6SM brass isn't very easy to get hold of or cheap here either. It can however be formed without much trouble from 6.5X47mm Lapua if you must have the small primer and 1.5mm dia. flash-hole. 6XC is really not much different and performs as well, but uses large rifle primers with the 2mm flash-hole. In the UK we can get Norma 6XC easily nowadays. So .... it's really hard to choose as they both perform equally well. XC dies are easier to get and that's about it.

Laurie the only 6 x 47 brass we saw here was RUAG, has the 6 x 47 fallen out of favour with the Swiss? I hear that RUAG have stopped making 6 x 47 brass altogether.
    I don't want to mess around necking down brass, so its probably going to be a 6XC from my next project.

Mike.

I had a 6mm Remington in a Browning B78 single shot. Like all 6mm Rem rifles, it had a tighter twist than most .243s, and it has a bit more powder capacity, so it shot heavier bullets fast and into cloverleaf groups. I sold it to a friend who was crazy about it, and finally got my hands on the B78 in .30-06 that I really craved.

Go for it. Great deer cartridge.

My girl friend grew up on a ranch shooting antelope and elk with a 6mm Remington. No one told her it wasn't an elk rifle.~Muir