Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red stags with clean antlers?

red stags with clean antlers?

When would people expect to start seeing red stags with clean antlers on lower ground in Perthshire?

Thanks.

Is there much variation in the timing year to year?

I'm used to roe and fallow, but in the last 2 years have started seeing increasing numbers of stags appear on the ground, and I'm very curious about them.

I did manage to shoot my first red stag last year. I say 'stag'... he had one 6 inch antler. I'm hoping for something better this season!

A bit of variation we used to start with clients the second week of September and mature stags were clean by then some younger beasts would still be in vevet.

I'd agree with bogtrotter...early September...
    although I did shoot one at the end of the 3rd week of August last season who was clean and coloured up.....
    ... One shot...one kill....

Bit of a difference from the south then, first of mine is usually clean by July 20th (casts on Feb 20th, has done each year for the last 4 years)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    Bit of a difference from the south then, first of mine is usually clean by July 20th (casts on Feb 20th, has done each year for the last 4 years)
    A lot later up here.

Just to update this thread the first of my stags is cleaning velvet this morning. He is 11 yrs old, 340 kilos liveweight. I tried to upload a photo but cannot do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    Just to update this thread the first of my stags is cleaning velvet this morning. He is 11 yrs old, 340 kilos liveweight. I tried to upload a photo but cannot do it.
    Gosh. Where is this? And by the sound these are farmed stags?