Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreigner going roe stalking in Scotland

Foreigner going roe stalking in Scotland

I`m going to the Scottish boarders to stalk roe bucks in a couple of weeks. I will have 7 outings, but what should I tip the Stalker?

20-50 per day dependent on service provided and level of success??......

I would say that somewhat depends on the overall package, total cost etc and whether it's a one man band or an estate stalker....
    if the former then personally I hate this notion of tipping, you're paying for the stalking after all, I may get shot down for this but hey, I don't get tipped in my line of work if I do a good job, so why do it? Granted if a really great day has been had and you want to express your gratitude then yes of course, but as an expectation on a daily basis.... Nope.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

If you have a good day, then tip what you think his/her's effort was worth to you.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I would say that somewhat depends on the overall package, total cost etc and whether it's a one man band or an estate stalker....
    if the former then personally I hate this notion of tipping, you're paying for the stalking after all, I may get shot down for this but hey, I don't get tipped in my line of work if I do a good job, so why do it? Granted if a really great day has been had and you want to express your gratitude then yes of course, but as an expectation on a daily basis.... Nope.
    +1 I have never had a tip in my life.
    I was working in Detroit and a brit co-worker did not tip the waitress and so the bar owner berated him for it and the answer he gave was "if you do not pay your workers enough that"s nothing to do with me so push off" (or words to that effect.
    Bit of a sickness in the states at 15% expected.

the tipping arose when gamekeepers and stalkers were on very low pay.
    they often went the extra mile and appreciated a small tip.

Rich clients can afford to tip more than a working class guy who might earn about
    10 an hour( or minimum wage).
    So its what YOU can afford I`m happy to give 20,or a a bottle of malt whiskey.
    Im not happy to give 40 or 50......... its more than I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Your not going to be shot down by me matey. I quite agree with you, no one ever tipped me when I was working and I did loads of hours and went the extra mile.

I have to say that I too find the principle of tipping very difficult. If I've enjoyed a guided stalk or 2 with someone I'm more minded to invite them shooting or buy them a modest shooting accessory that I think would be useful to them. It feels wrong to give more money after paying rather a lot to go stalking in the first place.

Re. the OP's original question, bring a small gift from your country, perhaps hunting-related.

There are no hard and fast rules as to how much you should tip but most stalkers expect something. If your there for a few days, give your tip after the last outing. How much you give depends on if you have enjoyed yourself and if you've been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    If you have a good day, then tip what you think his/her's effort was worth to you. Jim
    Do you not pay the rate/cost of the day based on what it is worth to you in the first place ?
    When I took clients out for a rather well known Stalking agency not far from here I always provided coffee and maybe a meat pie or cake and never got tipped.
    I did get paid 25 each time by the agent but that was sometimes for collecting the client from his hotel and returning him and in a couple of cases lending the client my rifle. Also if the client was on a level 2 stalk, filling out his portfolio too.
    Oh, and also using my own vehicle. of course.
    So tipping for me is a bit of a sore subject.