Thread: Souse Vide Cooker at Lidl - under 30.00

SD Regular

Souse Vide Cooker at Lidl - under 30.00

Dropped by Staples in Leicester today, new Lidl next door, opened on Thursday "Sous Vide Cooker" for a penny under 30.00.

Well...there's one thing I am grateful to the EU for. And....I have no doubt will still be here in UK after we Brexit. Mind all I need now is a vacuum sealer. Or does it work with a normal sealer....so I could use the one I bought in Nigeria?

Last edited by enfieldspares; 02-07-2016 at 17:01.

Any Vac Packer will work, I think zip lock bags work as well, I'm sure I read you could use cling film as long as you make the contents watertight so presume would need lots of wraps?

OK, go on then, explain to this Neanderthal what it is, what it does, and why you would use one?

SD Regular
    It's like a slow cooker except as it can cook at a lower temperature...and the stuff is in bags...is better for preserving the flavour.

Plus you can bag a lot of stuff and then cook it (like "boil in the bag") without having to use three or four different pots and pans.

This link explains it. Mind no good for food you might want with typical grilled finish. But for fish fillets is excellent.

Why Cook Sous Vide? | Modernist Cuisine
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 02-07-2016 at 18:41.

Did not actually notice the cooker

Blackpowder

By sheer coincidence I've just been reading about this technique for creating the perfect steak. There seemed to be several people on line suggesting that if you only use them occasionally for steaks that hot water in a beer cooler or chilly-bin would do the job perfectly well. I certainly intend to try it next time I have some good quality steak to cook.

Last edited by McKenzie; 03-07-2016 at 12:21.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    OK, go on then, explain to this Neanderthal what it is, what it does, and why you would use one?
    This video from Saturday Kitchen gives a very good explanation:

The first minute or so.

Then skip to 4 minutes 15 for Rhod Gilbert giving a laymans summary (linking direct to the time doesn't seem to want to work):